The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I like when C can get the pushes on rebounds. I go over that in my pregame with whoever I am working with. And with my playoff crew we seldom have a push on a rebound called by the lead. That being said, I don't think it is wrong for lead to call it. If C passes or misses and it needs to be called then by all means go a head lead and call it.
One example that I really see is a rebound going the the short corner on leads side. This probably would be seen best by lead. (Unless Trail closes down).
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Don't calling a rebound foul if you're straight-lined and that applies to L, C, and T.

Contact on the head or arms, that's a different story.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

This misconseption may stem from the T not wanting to get beat down the court and does not close in for the rebounding action. I probably wouldn't want my partner callin in the key from the 28' mark either. Up here they are wanting all officials to "stay home" and help with the rebounding. I'm sure it is the same elsewhere. If the T closes down and the C also they both should have a good angle an the painted area. No matter where you are, move to improve.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 02:12pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Mark,

That sounds more like people calling what looks like something, rather than what is actually there. If that is the case then it does not matter where you are positioned you are not going to get the call right in the first place. I only try to call fouls that I clearly see, not what I think happens. And I think you have to allow for some contact on rebounds or you will have a foul every single time there is a shot. I am looking for displacement and a clear advantage, not simple contact to call a foul, especially on rebounding action.

Peace

Rut:

I think we are on the same page here. I think that too many officials, both you and old, just don't understand positioning and angles. The lack of understanding of angles and positioning causes them to make calls that they should pass on.

MTD. Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

When being observed in 3-man, I've also been told that the Lead should seldom call a rebounding foul. The Trail should be stepping down on the shot and theoretically has a better angle anyway, and the C has his half of the lane as it is.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

I remember back in 2004. I was the lead in a 2 whistle game. I call a push from behind. I just so happen to have my wife film the game. I watched the tape and guess what no contact from behind. I had a wide enough angle from the position of the camera to actually see that I was too close to the play and I was straight lined.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

My two cents

Two person game:

lead has strong side rebounding
trail has perimeter and weakside rebounding

Three person game:

Trail has perimeter rebounding and helps on stong side rebounding
Center has weakside rebounding
Lead has strong side rebounding

The stuff about waist up in my mind is nonsense. You are there watching the play ... How many plays on a rebound or on a shot are played below the waist? A few hip checks and butss that go out... You can watch those as well as watching the play a couple of feet higher when a person makes conatct with the back.. Unless the Ceter is 7'3" the difference between the waist and shoulders on most players is what 3-4 feet and we cant's watch that?

Gotta have the angle but gotta call it as well
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 11:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
The stuff about waist up in my mind is nonsense. You are there watching the play ... How many plays on a rebound or on a shot are played below the waist? A few hip checks and butss that go out...
Kelvin,
Someone needs to get the feet and the Lead is an a terrible position for that cuz of all the other stuff.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Rut:

I think we are on the same page here. I think that too many officials, both you and old, just don't understand positioning and angles. The lack of understanding of angles and positioning causes them to make calls that they should pass on.

MTD. Sr.
MTD,
Amen!

As a lead, you get straight-lined by the two nearest players, based solely on the actions of the player closest to you (falling forward), you ASSUME that the player behind had to call the contact. VERY BAD IDEA.

At the same time, you get a good angle, you SEE the player (A5) behind the opponent (B5) pushing with the forearm in the small of the back, you SEE A5 get the rebound as a result of the push, and you call the foul on A5.

Bad angle, can't see, can't call it. Good angle, clearly see it, call it. Why would a 3-person crew want to remove 33% of its eyes on plays that are capable of generating fouls that need to be seen by SOMEONE?