The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA 10-2-6-a?

Visiting from the little yellow ball board ...

This happened on Saturday and I'm wondering if there's a little know rule that could make the officials call correct. If not, what is an official looking at to miss the call? This seems like an incredibly easy call to me, so I'm quite curious as to how the mistake would happen.

YouTube - Coach Boylen ON THE COURT!!
________
Prilosec Class Action

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:37pm.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 02:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Intentional Or Unintentional ???

youngump: Nice post. Thanks.

I watched the play three times, and would love to see it from another angle. From my view as a NFHS official, yes, the coach was on the court before the ball hit him. I'm certain of that, which, in itself, can be a technical foul. But it looks like, once he saw the play coming at him, he stood up, and had both feet out of bounds at the exact instant the ball hit him in the knee, which seemed to be over the plane of the sideline at the exact time the ball hit him.

Let's make this easier. Let's say that a coach, standing in his coaching box, with both feet out of bounds, intentionally sticks his hand out over the plane of the sideline, and deflects a pass, that creates a disadvantage for the other team. I've got a technical foul for unsporting conduct in a high school game. Now if he does this unintentionally? Sorry, we'll be right back after we hear from our sponsors.

Little yellow ball? I give up. Since there is no Tennis Forum, then you must be from the Lacrosse Forum? Second guess, Softball? Which is it? My daughters played middle school, and high school softball, and they used white balls here in Connecticut, otherwise Softball would be my first guess.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 11, 2009 at 02:55pm.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
youngump: Nice post. Thanks.

I watched the play three times, and would love to see it from another angle. From my view as a NFHS official, yes, the coach was on the court before the ball hit him. I'm certain of that, which, in itself, can be a technical foul. But it looks like, once he saw the play coming at him, he stood up, and had both feet out of bounds at the exact instant the ball hit him in the knee, which seemed to be over the plane of the sideline at the exact time the ball hit him.

Let's make this easier. Let's say that a coach, standing in his coaching box, with both feet out of bounds, intentionally sticks his hand out over the plane of the sideline, and deflects a pass, that creates a disadvantage for the other team. I've got a technical foul for unsporting conduct in a high school game. Now if he does this unintentionally? Sorry, we'll be right back after we hear from our sponsors.

Little yellow ball? I give up. Since there is no Tennis Forum, then you must be from the Lacrosse Forum? Second guess, Softball? Which is it? My daughters played middle school, and high school softball, and they used white balls here in Connecticut, otherwise Softball would be my first guess.
Yellow softballs in Washington.
________
Annie20 live

Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 03:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Kidding, Y'all Come Back To The Basketball Forum, Ya Hear ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Washington.
Great, another hippie, tree hugger. You Northwest umpires are lucky that Mark Padgett doesn't umpire softball. I think he officiates croquet in the spring? If there is a croquet season?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 11, 2009 at 03:25pm.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 03:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Can't get youtube here. Stupid firewalls.

Synopsis, please?
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

Synopsis, please?
Coach in this position gets hit by a tipped ball. He's been there the while time.

Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

Synopsis, please?

Ball stolen near the sideline and in the transition the coach who is squatting on the sideline at the 28ft mark (as coaches are want to do) stands up as the play approaches and in the process interferes with the ball. The other coach comes unglued and is also on the court near the division line.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 04:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Still Get The Itch Every Once In A While ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
Coach in this position gets hit by a tipped ball. He's been there the while time.
DonInKansas: Nice image. Gee, I wish that I was allowed to post images.

Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

snaq's
look ar where the coache's foot is on the floor.
A player in white steals the ball from the post player in red, while moving hard up the side line right at the coach who stands and sort of reaches out for the ball hard to tell if he touches it with his hands but that foot never moves and the ball hits that foot on the floor.
So if it missed the hands it was OOB on the coach when it hit him on the floor.
the only thing I can think is because the heal of that foot is on the line they say he is in the box.
steve fisher went nuts running down the floor but righttly the new lead just walked him back to the box and they talk about it.

I can see an interpretation coming out this week on this one.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 06:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
I can see an interpretation coming out this week on this one.
I'm not NCAA, but I'm interested, so please keep us posted.

Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 06:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Evergreen State, We Know Why It's So Green ...

Quote:
Yellow softballs in Washington.
That's right. Washington? I forgot that it's cloudy, or rainy, there all the time, between 50 and 100 inches of liquid precipitation per year. No wonder you need yellow softballs. Here in the Constitution State, we only get about 40 inches of liquid precipitation annually, so we usually play softball in the sun.

Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 06:47pm
#thereferee99

why can't I find any reference to bench personnel (including Head Coach) intentionally touching a ball or interfering with a ball that is live in the NFHS Rules Book?
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 07:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
why can't I find any reference to bench personnel (including Head Coach) intentionally touching a ball or interfering with a ball that is live in the NFHS Rules Book?
Good question. Here's another, not as important as yours, but still intriguing. How about unintentional interference? Are they obligated to get out of the way, or can they hold their position in a play, for example, where a player is trying to save a ball that headed out of bounds?

Intriguing? I really, really, have to stop reading mbyron's posts. I've used words today that I didn't even know I knew when I went to bed last night. And, no. I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Found this somewhere else.
________
AmazingAmy cam

Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 09:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's five against six ...

Quote:
Found this somewhere else.
Wow. Great image youngump. Not only is the coach on the court, it looks like he is intentionally interfering with the ball. This play reminds me of an incident in a college football game about twenty years ago where a coach, or player on the bench, comes onto the field to tackle an opponent who is running down the sideline. Anybody else remember this, or am I dreaming this up?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 11, 2009 at 10:02pm.