The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Talking To Coaches During the Game

Give me some examples of when I should go and speak to a coach who is questioning a call that I made. I certainly don't want to do this too often and slow up play. 2-man if it matters at all.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 12:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Give me some examples of when I should go and speak to a coach who is questioning a call that I made. I certainly don't want to do this too often and slow up play. 2-man if it matters at all.
Very rarely.

Only if he's asking a question, politely, standing in his box (or sitting if that's required), and the moment permits it.

If he's doing any of the following, he does not get his explanation:
1. making a statement rather than a question.
2. standing outside his box.
3. Using a disrespectful tone.
4. Yelling
5. So far away that you'd have to yell across the floor.
6. Keeps asking for explanations.

I'm more likely to do this when it's an unusual call, also; and there's a limit.

If he asks for an explanation, give him one but don't engage in debate.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 12:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

My experience has taught me that it's better to have your lawyer do it.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Ususally on unusual plays, and if the coach asks respectfully. I would say on average this happens maybe once every 2-3 varsity games. Lower levels stuff even less frequent than that. Most conversations I have with coaches are during play.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 12:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Communication With Coaches ...

General Techniques:
Statements by coaches don’t normally need a response. Answer questions, not statements.
Let the coach ask their question first, before speaking. Be a responder, not an initiator.
Most coaches will have questions when they believe the officials have missed an obvious call.
Having the officials in closer proximity often calms down the coach.
Be in control and speak in calm, easy tones. Be aware of your body language; maintain positive and confident body language.
Make eye contact with the coach when the situation allows.
Do not try to answer a question from an out of control coach; deal with the behavior first.
If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps once a game.
Don’t bluff your way through a call.
Do not ignore a coach.

Specific Communication Examples:

Coach sees the play very differently than the official:
“Coach, if that’s the way it happened/what you saw, then I must have missed it. I’ll take a closer look next time.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, however, on that play I didn’t see it that way. I’ll keep an eye for it on both ends.”
“Coach, I had a good look at that play and here’s what I saw (short explanation).”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, but my angle was different than yours.”
“Coach, I had a great look at that play, but I understand your question and I’ll have the crew keep an eye on it.”
“Coach, I had that play all the way and made the call.”

Coach believes you’re missing persistent illegal acts by the other team:
“OK coach, we’ll watch for that.”
“Coach, we are watching for that on both ends of the court.”

Coach is questioning a partner’s call:
“Coach, that’s a good call, as a crew we have to make that call.”
“We’re calling it on both ends.”
“Coach, he/she was right there and had a great angle.”
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my partner.”
“Coach, he/she had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask him/her, he/she’ll be over here in just a minute.”

Coach is very animated and gesturing:
“Coach, I’m going to talk with you and answer your questions, but you must put your arms down/stop the gesturing.”
“Coach, please put your arms down. Now, what’s your question?”

Coach is raising their voice asking the question:
“Coach, I can hear you. I’m standing right here, you don’t need to raise your voice.”
"Coach, I need you to stop raising your voice and just ask your question calmly.”

Coach is commenting on something every time down the floor:
“Coach, I need you to pick your spots, we can’t have a comment on every single call that is being made.”

Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”

Coach is venting, make editorial comments:
“I hear what you’re saying”
“I hear what you’re saying, but we’re moving on.”

Coach just won’t let it go:
“I’ve heard enough and that’s your warning.”

Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Very rarely.

Only if he's asking a question, politely, standing in his box (or sitting if that's required), and the moment permits it.

If he's doing any of the following, he does not get his explanation:
1. making a statement rather than a question.
2. standing outside his box.
3. Using a disrespectful tone.
4. Yelling
5. So far away that you'd have to yell across the floor.
6. Keeps asking for explanations.

I'm more likely to do this when it's an unusual call, also; and there's a limit.

If he asks for an explanation, give him one but don't engage in debate.
I would basically agree with Shaq on this one. One of the big complaints that coaches have about officials they dislike is that the officials "refuse to acknowledge me during the game."

In three-man, officials have much more of a chance to engage with the coaches for QUESTIONS -- especially after reporting a foul that involves multiple free throws. In two-man, the reporting official has responsibilities after reporting shooting fouls. Thus, the opportunity for interaction is much less.

Typically, coaches are asking questions about a violation such as a travel (what did he do?) or a foul (what did he do? didn't he get there in time?). Then, there are the misunderstood rules such as "last-touch-first-touch" back court violations, basket interference calls/non-calls, "sliding-but-not-rolling" non-travels, etc. that almost always yield a questioning coaches plea.

But, as Shaq also states, I will STOP offering explanations to the questions of "what did he do?" if the occasional question escalates to a constant inquisition. The other very good point that Shaq brings up is not engaging in a debate. The coach can ask a question. I provide the answer as to what I SAW. I like to include that in my answer back to the coach. When the coach asks, "what did he do?", I will typically respond with "Coach, from my angle, I felt that the defender hit the shooter's arm on the way up." This may lead to a statement such as "well, you missed it, you had a bad angle", but that statement will generally end the conversation as it was a statement rather than a question.

Some officials feel more comfortable talking with coaches than others. Some engage in far too much conversation with coaches -- offering explanations on call after call during the game. As an official, you have to determine what fits your personality the best while still keeping a good flow to the game.

I really like the document that BillyMac provided as I was typing.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Sun Jan 11, 2009 at 01:05pm.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 01:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The Sunflower State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
I really like the document that BillyMac provided as I was typing.
You're a member of the Topeka Officials Association, or did they get it from you? In either case, nice job. Thanks. I'm a retired teacher. If we find something we like, that works, we use it. Copyright laws be damned. Full speed ahead.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 11, 2009 at 01:52pm.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

on an earlier thread someone said, when a coach is barking out something he didn't like, to say " what is your question coach?".

I tried it in a mid school game yesterday. I called a block on his player and he want a charge.
He is yelling that his player had position, so I calmly walked up and said "and what is your question coach??".

He explained himself and I said "I appreciate your question but in my judgement, I didn't see it that way. It seemed to difuse the whole thing, as the coach nodded in approval.

I hope it works that well the next time
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

If you don't have to talk with coaches, don't. If they want to ask a question, answer it professionally, and move on. Most coaches (Most) appreciate an official who is willing (AND able) to communicate effectively.

That said . . . 3-4 years ago, had a GV tournament game. Foul in the backcourt. I have a late whistle (sort of, but not really THAT late). Coach RUNS down the floor, yelling "that's a late whistle!" Me: "And?" Coach: "That's a late whistle." Me: "And, it was the right call." Coach turned around and sat down. She didn't say much after that. A couple of coaches in the corner started laughing. I couldn't help but smile. (NOTE: sometimes you might have to respond to statements)
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Answer questions when you can.

Don't respond to statements.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

I was L in a boys freshman game this weekend. A's player drives to the basket and basically falls all over himself. B's player who had LGP goes down trying to go for the ball during this mess. A's coach is in my ear and is asking me how it wasn't a block or a charge. I told him I had a no call and he told me that there has to be a block or a charge when there is contact. I wonder if he would have been happier if I would have called a PC foul on his player?

In a game last week I was L and called a shooting foul on A's player. I go report and go back to my spot as new T. A's coach, who was on the opposite end of the court, was wanting me to come to the bench to talk to him immediately. I told him twice during the two free throws that I would be over there in a minute. I guess he wanted me to answer him from across the court or wait to shoot the free throws until he was done talking to me. Point is, you don't have to talk to coaches immediately. Give them their explanation when you get close to them.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin View Post
If you don't have to talk with coaches, don't. If they want to ask a question, answer it professionally, and move on. Most coaches (Most) appreciate an official who is willing (AND able) to communicate effectively.

That said . . . 3-4 years ago, had a GV tournament game. Foul in the backcourt. I have a late whistle (sort of, but not really THAT late). Coach RUNS down the floor, yelling "that's a late whistle!" Me: "And?" Coach: "That's a late whistle." Me: "And, it was the right call." Coach turned around and sat down. She didn't say much after that. A couple of coaches in the corner started laughing. I couldn't help but smile. (NOTE: sometimes you might have to respond to statements)
How do we not ignore coaches while only talking to them if necessary? Do we acknowledge them, but not engage in conversation?
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Selective hearing. If a coach is just "chirping", a simple nod of the head (~the "I hear your coach"~ nod, I have NO idea how to describe this, please don't ask), or an "OK" should suffice. Notice that very few veterans will say engage in some sort of long winded conversation. Question-response-move on.

Additionally, you aren't "ignoring" the coach, you are choosing when it is and is not necessary to respond to their attempted verbal engagement with you. I know, from being a former coach as well as an official, that many times coaches don't want to talk, they want to be heard. That's it.

Please note, that for me, if a coach is constantly questioning calls, politely or not, then I will ask the coach to let us officiate the game. If the coach continues, then a warning, then a T. I have only given one T to a coach in the past 4-5 years (~1300 games during that span) for incessant officiating from the bench.

Another example from this season . . . coach is questioning calls almost every time down the floor. At one point he wants a foul on his player while shooting. (GV - 3 person) I end up in trail right in front of him. Coach: "How can my two best officials not see that foul right in front of you?" Me: "Coach, if we're your two best officials, don't you trust us? (crickets chirping . . .) Coach: ~no response~
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 12:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Give me some examples of when I should go and speak to a coach who is questioning a call that I made.
"Coach, I'd respond to that but I left my English-Gibberish dictionary at home."
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 12:52pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Never respond to a statement. It is like responding to the question, "Are you still beating your wife?". You just cannot give a good answer.