The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question for all to answer!

I was just looking for some advice regarding how some veteran officials would handle a certain situation. Just a little background about myself quick, 5th year official working majority of Boys JV schedule, I am young but I really do enjoy officiating. So anywho my question for everyone is regarding a small event that happen in a previous game earlier on.
Situation:
I am doing a Boys JV game, of course, and I am running up and down the court doin what I am suppose to due not paying any attention to the fans and watching game and calling it. It gets into the second half and all of the sudden this fan who is a parent of one of the home team's players starts calling me "pee-wee." I don't pay any attention to him and keep officiating the game. As it gets late in the game everytime when I am down at the end of the floor most of the time at the trial position I keep hearing him call me "pee-wee" followed by something regarding a call. I have pretty-thick skin and normally don't let something like that bother me, but I guess i'm looking at it as I have to go back there two more times this season and really I don't feel like drawing attention to myself by telling the game managment or the AD about it because it seems like when he says it I'm the only one to hear it.

I just need some advice on what to do if I am forced with this same situation on what is the best way to handle it. Do I do my best and ignore like I know I can or just be aware about it but don't let it affect me.

Thanks

Last edited by JBleach85; Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 01:41pm. Reason: Mispelling
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

happy gilmore "Jack @$$"

If you can avoid it and ignore it would probably be better to do so -
If you feel that you have to do something about it, find a game manager, point out the fan and tell him that there is a problem and it needs to be handled.

Last time I had an issue like this the administrator went over and sat near the person said "Hi How are you?" and started watching the game with them.
eventually the guy couldn't resist and made an inappropriate comment the administrator had him removed.

At tomorrows game the loudest fan in the gym will be the home teams AD - he never says anything inappropriate and is all over the gym doing his job - but you always know right where he is by sound and he knows right where his troublesome fans are too!
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBleach85 View Post
I was just looking for some advice regarding how some veteran officials would handle a certain situation. Just a little background about myself quick, 5th year official working majority of Boys JV schedule, I am young but I really do enjoy officiating. So anywho my question for everyone is regarding a small event that happen in a previous game earlier on.
Situation:
I am doing a Boys JV game, of course, and I am running up and down the court doin what I am suppose to due not paying any attention to the fans and watching game and calling it. It gets into the second half and all of the sudden this fan who is a parent of one of the home team's players starts calling me "pee-wee." I don't pay any attention to him and keep officiating the game. As it gets late in the game everytime when I am down at the end of the floor most of the time at the trial position I keep hearing him call me "pee-wee" followed by something regarding a call. I have pretty-thick skin and normally don't let something like that bother me, but I guess i'm looking at it as I have to go back there two more times this season and really I don't feel like drawing attention to myself by telling the game managment or the AD about it because it seems like when he says it I'm the only one to hear it.

I just need some advice on what to do if I am forced with this same situation on what is the best way to handle it. Do I do my best and ignore like I know I can or just be aware about it but don't let it affect me.

Thanks
My advice (since you asked) is do nothing about it. I have a shaved head, would you like to hear some of the names I have been called? It only gets worse as you move up as far as the scrutiny, names, etc go....granted if someone is screaming profanities at you you should probably approach game management and have them deal with it (if they or other saner people around this individual don't handle it themselves), but "pee wee" is something that I would recommend that you just deal with...that is unless you are 6'5", then just kick his a**.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:00pm
This IS My Social Life

Re: "PeeWee"

Your last name isn't Herman, is it? If it is, then I'd say no problem. If not...

I'm not as "veteran" as others, but the vets have taught me, at least in regard to the players, bench or coaching personnel, to consider the 3 P's: Is it Persistent? Is it Personal? Is it Profane? Those might be considerations as to whether to T up a coach or bench personnel or a player.

Would you consider this annoyance from a fan so personal as to call it to the attention of game management and have them try to handle it? I guess that's up to you.

Last edited by Freddy; Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 02:04pm. Reason: speeling mistaks
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks a lot I really do think of not really doin anything about it. He is just one of those parents who thinks his son is the superstar but in reality is like the last player off the bench for the JV team. Not downing the kid or the parent or even the program at the school but just a point that he should be more focused on other things besides what I am doin and callin me nicknames.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If it distracts you to the point where you can't focus on the game; deal with it through GM. If not, ignore it.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

I think you are right to "do your best and ignore it like you know you can." Confrontation with fans will rarely pay dividends. And I meam RARELY!

With any luck, his sibling and his significant other game him an ear full when he got home.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:11pm
Lighten up, Francis.

RE: Happy gilmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
If you feel that you have to do something about it. . .
Since you referenced Happy Gilmore, I thought your advice was going to be to cold-cock the guy, like Happy did to Bob Barker. Although, Bob got the best of that deal in the end. So maybe it's not such good advice.

Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBleach85 View Post
Situation:

Thanks
Ignore ignore ignore! If the crowd finds out that it bothers you, you will have more problems than "pee-wee". They are trying to get your goat and it seems as though they are succeeding. If it's profane, than deal with it but leave this one alone.

-Josh
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

"I'm sorry you're disappointed I'm not bigger. Your wife seems to think I'm pretty big. Maybe she's just comparing me to you."
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:20pm
Ch1town

Not that I'm a vet, but you did ask. Everyones tolerance levels are obviously different. At the JV level where it may not be a packed house, I noticed you tend to hear more. I may handle that two different ways.

1. If I feel disrespected/embarassed, GM will be notified as name-calling is personal.

2. If I can laugh it off, then I'd ignore it, get done & get out.

I dont recommend this but in the wreck & youth ball environment, where I'm not getting paid enough to deal with that, I'd comment back on the run. "Isn't that what your wife who doubles as my mistress calls you?"
(I know, I know - stay out of the stands) I always stay out the stands in sanctioned ballgames. But hey, know your animal!
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Scrapper1;566728]Since you referenced Happy Gilmore, I thought your advice was going to be to cold-cock the guy, like Happy did to Bob Barker. Although, Bob got the best of that deal in the end. So maybe it's not such good advice.

Bob would probably say " be sure that you should be sure to spay and neuter your Hecker's"