The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

what is the call

Mid school Jv game. I'm the lead. Team B makes a basket, so i step to the right side of the court on the side line in anticipation of an inbounds throw in. Player A picks up the ball, but as he throws it looses some control (in my estimation), and the ball goes to the right sideline about 6 feet from the baseline, and out of bounds. The ball passes about 2 feet from me. No one touches the ball as there isn't a player within 6 feet of the throw in.

I called it "B" ball at the spot of the throw in.

My partner said he would never have made that call in a Mid JV game, he would have retreived the ball and let them start over.

What do you guys think?? should I have overlooked it???
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:05am
Ch1town

Sounds like one of those HTBT plays.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

from what I am reading, the player picked up the ball - had possessiona and control - then lost control on the throw-in. I would have called the violation - throw-in to other team at original throw-in spot.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:16am
#thereferee99

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
Mid school Jv game. I'm the lead. Team B makes a basket, so i step to the right side of the court on the side line in anticipation of an inbounds throw in. Player A picks up the ball, but as he throws it looses some control (in my estimation), and the ball goes to the right sideline about 6 feet from the baseline, and out of bounds. The ball passes about 2 feet from me. No one touches the ball as there isn't a player within 6 feet of the throw in.

I called it "B" ball at the spot of the throw in.

My partner said he would never have made that call in a Mid JV game, he would have retreived the ball and let them start over.

What do you guys think?? should I have overlooked it???
I sounds from your post that the player "released the ball directly onto the court." It also sounds like the ball did not "touch another player" before "going out of bounds untouched".

sounds to me like you made a great call.... if you called a 'throw-in violation'.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, probably had to be there. But based on what was described, if anybody on B is putting pressure on A in the backcourt, I'd call the violation. If no pressure, blow my whistle and/or retrieve the ball and give it back...
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
Yeah, probably had to be there. But based on what was described, if anybody on B is putting pressure on A in the backcourt, I'd call the violation. If no pressure, blow my whistle and/or retrieve the ball and give it back...
so, if not being pressured player A travels, do you ignore that as well?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Players sometimes do dumb or clumsy things -- dumber and clumsier on average the younger they are. It's not in my job description to suspend the rules every time these things happen, as your partner seems to suggest.

That said, I had a play yesterday where two (MS) girls were back after a made basket, and neither of them went out of bounds to bring it in. I just whistled and restarted them out of bounds.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Again, probably had to be there to see the level on play involved. If it's poor skill level, particularly amoung younger age leagues, I have ignored slight shuffles of the feet in the past. If A is getting blown out by 20 or 30+ points late in the game, I've ignored similar things as well. I've ignored the exact OP (with no BC pressure) because of a blowout as well. There's usually no way of ignoring the blatant stuff (kid takes 4 steps with the ball; or kid picks up his dribble, waits 2 or 3 seconds, and starts dribbling again), but we've all had these games from hell where the best thing to happen to the losing team is for the game to end. No need to rub salt in the wound...
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:39am
Ch1town

Quote:
Depending on the time, score & the level of play (MS in this case not HS varsity) ignoring a thing or two is not a bad thing. It's a different animal!
What's marginal in NCAA is more than likely a foul/violation in HS & so on.

In the 4Q of a 27 - 3 MS game, the losing team won't be called for every infraction. 50/50 plays will probably go their way too.

Why add insult to injury?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Middle school? Maybe. Depends on how bad the travel is.