The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
That would be pretty good evidence that the original purpose for the division line was for 6-on-6 basketball, because it predates the 1933 rule change creating the division line for the purpose of the 10-second count.
Does anyone know when the prohibition against returning to the backcourt was put in?

It's possible that that rule predates the 10-second limit, and thus could have been the original reason for the introduction of the division line on the boys side.

If that's true, then in order to Ref Ump Welsch's argument to hold up the backcourt restriction would have to have entered the game post 1920. It's possible that he using the wrong rule from the boys' side for comparison.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
I have no idea what that is. And, I may not remember anyway since I'm so OLD!

Rita
Yer prolly too young.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Netball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

I believe there used to be a version (somewhere?) that divided the court into three parts. Two guards, two forwards, and two in the center area for each team.
This sounds like Netball, but it has seven players and dribbling is not allowed. It is the most popular womens sport in Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, United Kingdom and South Africa. The USA has a team, but they suck most Americans have never heard of the game, let alone played it.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 07:11am
In Memoriam

Fwiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Referee View Post
This sounds like Netball, but it has seven players and dribbling is not allowed. It is the most popular womens sport in Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, United Kingdom and South Africa. The USA has a team, but they suck most Americans have never heard of the game, let alone played it.
Google sez - "Netball is considered themostpopular women’s team sport in the world. Although invented in the United States in 1891, it is considered a “new” sport in its country of origin yet is a high profile, prime-time TV sport in the United Kingdom, the Caribbean, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. It continues its rapid growth in the United States, Africa and Europe, as the strong lobby of Olympic inclusion builds. "
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah it's funny, most people think that netball a a derivative of basketball, but it was actually invented first. It is becomi g increasingly popular as a mixed sport in Australia, it is a great sport for basketballers to play to improve their shooting - there's no backboard!

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Sat Jan 10, 2009, 04:49pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Not how they played when I was in school.

3 on 3 on each side. No rovers. 3 forwards, 3 guards, none of which could cross the division line.
Mick's version was played in VT till about 1970 or so.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

I used to know a girl who played 6-on-6 in Iowa. She was recognized as an All-State player, and never scored a point in her career. She was strictly a defensive player. Kind of weird to hear it that way!