The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What was (is) the purpose of the division line? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50793-what-purpose-division-line.html)

CMHCoachNRef Thu Jan 08, 2009 04:14pm

What was (is) the purpose of the division line?

There is a line that goes across the court that we call the "division line." As we have discovered in another thread, this line is not used to determine where players must stand for free throws as a result of technical fouls.

What was the original intent of this line?

I am trying to establish a "base line" (not to be confused with the "end line") for a discussion.

jdmara Thu Jan 08, 2009 04:17pm

It used to be use for 6-on-6 basketball where certain players could not cross over the division line. I'm too young to have ever seen this played though

-Josh

OHBBREF Thu Jan 08, 2009 04:20pm

the division line is the determination of of front court (offense) and back court (defence) as well as refered to as time line in FED and NCAAM NBA where you have a specific amount of time where you may have the ball in the back court during any possession. 10 sec (8 sec NBA)

The division line once posssesion is established beyond this point determines where certain offensive rules come into play such as closely guarded, FED and NCAAM, as well as back court violations in all.

Adam Thu Jan 08, 2009 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 566292)
It used to be use for 6-on-6 basketball where certain players could not cross over the division line. I'm too young to have ever seen this played though

-Josh

I didn't know you were that young, Josh. Anyone over the age of 22 is old enough to remember seeing this played, as the last 6 on 6 tourney in Iowa was in 1993 (at the old Veterans Memorial Auditorium.) By that time, it was only small schools who were playing by those rules.

BktBallRef Thu Jan 08, 2009 04:25pm

Quote:

It used to be use for 6-on-6 basketball where certain players could not cross over the division line. I'm too young to have ever seen this played though.

Correct. That was the original purpose.

Freddy Thu Jan 08, 2009 04:33pm

Red Rover, Red Rover

Don't hear the term "rover" much anymore, do we? (Iowa folks might be the only ones who remember that).

Adam Thu Jan 08, 2009 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 566306)
Don't hear the term "rover" much anymore, do we? (Iowa folks might be the only ones who remember that).

I grew up watching this sport, but don't remember the term. Care to enlighten me?

Scratch85 Thu Jan 08, 2009 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 566306)

I dare Freddy over . . .

eg-italy Thu Jan 08, 2009 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 566289)
There is a line that goes across the court that we call the "division line." As we have discovered in another thread, this line is not used to determine where players must stand for free throws as a result of technical fouls.

What was the original intent of this line?

I am trying to establish a "base line" (not to be confused with the "end line") for a discussion.

This article states that the division line was introduced in 1933 along with a 10 second rule. Comments?

Ciao

mick Thu Jan 08, 2009 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 566307)
I grew up watching this sport, but don't remember the term. Care to enlighten me?

6-on-6 -> 2 defenders, 2 forwards, 2 rovers. = 4-on-4 each side. :)

Adam Thu Jan 08, 2009 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 566330)
6-on-6 -> 2 defenders, 2 forwards, 2 rovers. = 4-on-4 each side. :)

Not how they played when I was in school.

3 on 3 on each side. No rovers. 3 forwards, 3 guards, none of which could cross the division line.

mick Thu Jan 08, 2009 05:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 566333)
Not how they played when I was in school.

3 on 3 on each side. No rovers. 3 forwards, 3 guards, none of which could cross the division line.

I've been wrong before.

Adam Thu Jan 08, 2009 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 566339)
I've been wrong before.

Maybe they did it different in Oklahoma (the last state to do it aside from Iowa) or Michigan (did they ever do 6 on 6?) or before I was around in Iowa.

deecee Thu Jan 08, 2009 05:44pm

so the trail official knows when to stop moving forward?

Rita C Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:37pm

Quote:

-Josh

I played it.

Rita