Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

So, why do you do it?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

because I enjoy the kids -- I dont officiate because "its for the kids" -- I do it "for the game" -- its pretty simple. very few coaches, no matter what they say, actually do it "for the kids", thats just a nice platitude thats thrown around too freely.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
So, why do you do it?
For me. I enjoy it. I enjoy the challenge, the exercise, and the small amount of money I'm paid to do it.

It doesn't have to be "for the kids."
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
because I enjoy the kids -- I dont officiate because "its for the kids" -- I do it "for the game" -- its pretty simple. very few coaches, no matter what they say, actually do it "for the kids", thats just a nice platitude thats thrown around too freely.
Sounds like you do it for the kids to me which is very good. That should be the only ones we think about while we are out there. Just because a few false people use a phrase doesn't make it untrue. If you want money and exercise there are other things you could do with your time that would get you more money and more exercise. I don't judge others and thier reasons for calling ball, but you had better look like you enjoy what you do while you are doing it and keep trying to improve. People that just show up for the money you can pick out preety easy and I have no patience for them. Not saying that is you. That has just been my experience. If you love it, you love it, whatever the reason. As for coaches and the like, I couldn't agree with you more. I'll get off my soap box now.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
That should be the only ones we think about while we are out there.
Quote:
I don't judge others and thier reasons for calling ball
Yes, you do.

You officiate for your reasons. I'll do it for mine. I work hard, but my motivation is not because "the kids deserve it."
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Yes, you do.

You officiate for your reasons. I'll do it for mine. I work hard, but my motivation is not because "the kids deserve it."
I guess you just want argue. I was agreeing with everything you said. if you read the part where is said if you love it, you do it,WHATEVER THE REASON. If you didn't like the kids i'm sure you would do something else, at least I hope so. It's good to see you at least think about the kids. Sorry if I somehow hurt your last feeling.