The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Can We Change Our T Call Before We Report It?

Boys JV game tonite. My partner and I (both relatively new) pre-gamed that if we had a T, we'd get together before reporting , let the coach settle down a bit, and then the non-caller would go deal with the coach.

A1 going for a block on a layup slaps the board. I'm the lead and let it go since he was trying to block the shot. My partner Ts him up for slapping the board. However, he immediately reports it before we confer so its a T.

If we had conferred and I had asked him if he thought it was intentional and he said "no" could we have waved off the T?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 11:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

He could have waved off the T, if he agreed with you. It needs to be his decision, though.

BTW, it's typically Trail's call (even though I agree with your no-call on this).
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

I see no problem with going IW here. It sounds like your partner misapplied or misunderstood the rule. Go to the coaches, explain that you misapplied a rule, therefore there is no T. Go to the point of interruption (in this case it sounds like the arrow since there was a shot and probably no team control at the time) and play on. Most coaches will respect you more for getting it correct.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 12:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
I see no problem with going IW here. It sounds like your partner misapplied or misunderstood the rule. Go to the coaches, explain that you misapplied a rule, therefore there is no T. Go to the point of interruption (in this case it sounds like the arrow since there was a shot and probably no team control at the time) and play on. Most coaches will respect you more for getting it correct.
Unless the basket was made, or someone had gained the rebound prior to the whistle.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 08:23am
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Unless the basket was made, or someone had gained the rebound prior to the whistle.
The striking of the backboard, it seems, would have happened before the rebound was gained; thus the recognition of the possible violation was made before the rebound was secured.
Do we really want to default to *possession* in this case, even with a delayed, and possibly inadvertent, whistle ?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
The striking of the backboard, it seems, would have happened before the rebound was gained; thus the recognition of the possible violation was made before the rebound was secured.
Do we really want to default to *possession* in this case, even with a delayed, and possibly inadvertent, whistle ?
Certainly go to "posession" if the basket was made -- there are several cases on this.

I'd also likely go to "posession" on the second scenario -- since there wasn't really a violation / foul, the ball didn't become dead, it didn't affect the rebounding, ....
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 09:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I agree with Bob. The whistle is what stops play, if the whistle doens't come until the rebound has been secured, I'm giving the ball back to the rebounding team.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

My thought is nothing is final until you report it. If you get more information from whistle until you head to the table, why not get it right?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
My thought is nothing is final until you report it. If you get more information from whistle until you head to the table, why not get it right?
I agree. We had an unfortunate T in a varsity girls game last week. My partner whistled and ran over to report a T on the visitor's best player for wearing a livestrong-type bracelet. Yikes.

He was done before I could get to him and find out what he was doing. The player ended up fouling out, too.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 11:07am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
That is so true! I had a situation just last night, I'm L (in transition) fast break coming right at me. The defender hits the airborne shooter in the head from behind while "attempting" to block the shot. I have the whistle & in route to reporting, the slot intercepts me & provided me with info that lead me to make the intentional personal foul call instead of the personal.
Of course the offending coach didn't like it, he says I can't let my partner "change" my call
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 11:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I agree. We had an unfortunate T in a varsity girls game last week. My partner whistled and ran over to report a T on the visitor's best player for wearing a livestrong-type bracelet. Yikes.

He was done before I could get to him and find out what he was doing. The player ended up fouling out, too.
That still wouldn't stop me. It's not a technical BY RULE and even if it had been reported, I would do my best to fix it.