The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Can We Change Our T Call Before We Report It? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50772-can-we-change-our-t-call-before-we-report.html)

Spence Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:19pm

Can We Change Our T Call Before We Report It?

Boys JV game tonite. My partner and I (both relatively new) pre-gamed that if we had a T, we'd get together before reporting , let the coach settle down a bit, and then the non-caller would go deal with the coach.

A1 going for a block on a layup slaps the board. I'm the lead and let it go since he was trying to block the shot. My partner Ts him up for slapping the board. However, he immediately reports it before we confer so its a T.

If we had conferred and I had asked him if he thought it was intentional and he said "no" could we have waved off the T?

Adam Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:23pm

He could have waved off the T, if he agreed with you. It needs to be his decision, though.

BTW, it's typically Trail's call (even though I agree with your no-call on this).

doubleringer Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:29pm

I see no problem with going IW here. It sounds like your partner misapplied or misunderstood the rule. Go to the coaches, explain that you misapplied a rule, therefore there is no T. Go to the point of interruption (in this case it sounds like the arrow since there was a shot and probably no team control at the time) and play on. Most coaches will respect you more for getting it correct.

Adam Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubleringer (Post 565990)
I see no problem with going IW here. It sounds like your partner misapplied or misunderstood the rule. Go to the coaches, explain that you misapplied a rule, therefore there is no T. Go to the point of interruption (in this case it sounds like the arrow since there was a shot and probably no team control at the time) and play on. Most coaches will respect you more for getting it correct.

Unless the basket was made, or someone had gained the rebound prior to the whistle.

mick Thu Jan 08, 2009 08:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 566006)
Unless the basket was made, or someone had gained the rebound prior to the whistle.

The striking of the backboard, it seems, would have happened before the rebound was gained; thus the recognition of the possible violation was made before the rebound was secured.
Do we really want to default to *possession* in this case, even with a delayed, and possibly inadvertent, whistle ?

bob jenkins Thu Jan 08, 2009 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 566068)
The striking of the backboard, it seems, would have happened before the rebound was gained; thus the recognition of the possible violation was made before the rebound was secured.
Do we really want to default to *possession* in this case, even with a delayed, and possibly inadvertent, whistle ?

Certainly go to "posession" if the basket was made -- there are several cases on this.

I'd also likely go to "posession" on the second scenario -- since there wasn't really a violation / foul, the ball didn't become dead, it didn't affect the rebounding, ....

Adam Thu Jan 08, 2009 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 566068)

I agree with Bob. The whistle is what stops play, if the whistle doens't come until the rebound has been secured, I'm giving the ball back to the rebounding team.

Larks Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:14am

My thought is nothing is final until you report it. If you get more information from whistle until you head to the table, why not get it right?

mbyron Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larks (Post 566105)
My thought is nothing is final until you report it. If you get more information from whistle until you head to the table, why not get it right?

I agree. We had an unfortunate T in a varsity girls game last week. My partner whistled and ran over to report a T on the visitor's best player for wearing a livestrong-type bracelet. Yikes.

He was done before I could get to him and find out what he was doing. The player ended up fouling out, too. :o

Ch1town Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larks (Post 566105)

That is so true! I had a situation just last night, I'm L (in transition) fast break coming right at me. The defender hits the airborne shooter in the head from behind while "attempting" to block the shot. I have the whistle & in route to reporting, the slot intercepts me & provided me with info that lead me to make the intentional personal foul call instead of the personal.
Of course the offending coach didn't like it, he says I can't let my partner "change" my call :rolleyes:

Rich Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 566122)
I agree. We had an unfortunate T in a varsity girls game last week. My partner whistled and ran over to report a T on the visitor's best player for wearing a livestrong-type bracelet. Yikes.

He was done before I could get to him and find out what he was doing. The player ended up fouling out, too. :o

That still wouldn't stop me. It's not a technical BY RULE and even if it had been reported, I would do my best to fix it.