The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

This is a Good One!

Last Night I had a Varsity Girls game. I notice that the away team has illegal headbands on. They are black headbands but they have white writing the whole way around the band. I think they said Air Nike multiple times around the head band. I go over to let the coach know that they are illegal. He said. They are black, I said but that writing around them is what makes them illegal. If it only said Nike once it would have been fine but not how it was. He said I called Nike and they said it was ok and that they were legal. I payed 200 dollars so my team could wear them so they better be legal. Sorry coach they are not legal. But Nike said they are, tell them I said they aren't. He wasn't too happy. I do hate being the uniform police though.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:49am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
Last Night I had a Varsity Girls game. I notice that the away team has illegal headbands on. They are black headbands but they have white writing the whole way around the band. I think they said Air Nike multiple times around the head band. I go over to let the coach know that they are illegal. He said. They are black, I said but that writing around them is what makes them illegal. If it only said Nike once it would have been fine but not how it was. He said I called Nike and they said it was ok and that they were legal. I payed 200 dollars so my team could wear them so they better be legal. Sorry coach they are not legal. But Nike said they are, tell them I said they aren't. He wasn't too happy. I do hate being the uniform police though.
Were they plain on the other side?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:50am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

His thought process was to phone the manufacturer to see if they're legal? Regardless of the rule, what are the chances that a manufacturer is going to say, "yes our product is illegal - so don't buy them?"

To understand a rule, talk to the rules makers or the rules enforcers. Geesh.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

no

No they were the same on both sides
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:56am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
I payed 200 dollars so my team could wear them so they better be legal.
Why would a coach pay $200 to wear a headband with a logo? Are they getting free shoes or something?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Was this their first game? Did they just get them in?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:01am
#thereferee99

I had girls JV. Team had Red jerseys with Gold accents and trim.
Players warming up with Gold pre-wrap headbands.
"Coach, your players are going to have to switch to legal headbands"
"But, they're Gold"
"They are illegal"
"But we have gold on our jerseys!"
"They would need to be the primary color of the jersey. What's the primary color of your jersey?"
"Red, but with Gold!"
"Coach, you are going to have to remove the illegal headbands"
"We have played 12 games. All of the other refs said gold was okay"
"Not tonight coach."
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
"We have played 12 games. All of the other refs said gold was okay"
This is what kills me the most about uniform infractions (and sometimes a few other rules, but mostly uniform stuff). This should really only be an issue for the first game of the season (maybe 2 tops). I know we hate to be uniform police, but it makes all of us look bad when some choose to enforce the rules, and others turn a blind eye to them.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
I know we hate to be uniform police, but it makes all of us look bad when some choose to enforce the rules, and others turn a blind eye to them.
Got that right.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
This is what kills me the most about uniform infractions (and sometimes a few other rules, but mostly uniform stuff). This should really only be an issue for the first game of the season (maybe 2 tops). I know we hate to be uniform police, but it makes all of us look bad when some choose to enforce the rules, and others turn a blind eye to them.
Our recent association meeting showed me why I've run into the "you're the first...." discussion. Many think that the "pre wrap" doesn't fall under the headband rule because of where the girls wear it. They thought that since it wasn't worn on the forehead that it wasn't a headband. Some didn't understand that it could be the predominant color of the jersey. Some confused pre-wrap with the scrunch worn on the ponytail.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:53am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Our recent association meeting showed me why I've run into the "you're the first...." discussion. Many think that the "pre wrap" doesn't fall under the headband rule because of where the girls wear it. They thought that since it wasn't worn on the forehead that it wasn't a headband. Some didn't understand that it could be the predominant color of the jersey. Some confused pre-wrap with the scrunch worn on the ponytail.
This was specifically addressed in great detail at our State meeting this yr. There should have been no confusion or excuses here.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

i have had the same problem with knee braces. Player is warmingnup with a brace with a hard plastic hinge.

Because it was a JV game I didn't notice the brace (player had pants). With 3 minutes I go to the coach and tell her that player 32 has an illegal brace and she can not play with it on.

Coach says classic she has played with it all year and no one has said anything. I told the coach that normally a brace like that one comes with a cover.

At this point the head coach and AD come over. I explain that the brace is illegal. I asked if they agreed that the brace had exposed hard plastic (not the smartest way to handle it). They did agree it was illegal.

The AD yelled at the girl and asked if there was a "cover for the brace"? The girl said yes and it was at home . The AD said he would get the parents to go get it.

The coaches wanted to know if she could play with the brace until the parents came back with the cover. I asked them again if they agreed that the brace was illegal. They did. So we started the game with out the player.

A couple of lessons, even in a sub varsity- check uniforms and equipment as early as possible so that the team can adjust and or find the proper equipment.

Also do your job enforcing the rules from the start of the season. In this case this the player was a freshman playing in a soph game. Freshman officials are normally "newer" but this brace was obviously illegal.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

I think that they had just purchased these.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 12:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
He said I called Nike and they said it was ok and that they were legal. I payed 200 dollars so my team could wear them so they better be legal. Sorry coach they are not legal. But Nike said they are.
Of course they said that, coach. You gave them $200.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 12:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
That means SOME of your membership weren't paying attention during the rules clinic.