The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 02:51pm
Archaic Power Monger

All this talk about crab is making me hungry.

I've also never seen a crab dribble a basketball so I think this is all a mute [sic, just for mbyron] point.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 03:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
The only play that is different is our "hop" travel rule.
Are you saying players are allowed to hop in the NBA? Because that's traveling in NFHS and NCAA.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

What's really funny is they had just let him get away with a travel moments before. Then they call it in that sit. Bummer for LBJ
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
My call is traveling.

Since I couldn't slow the tape down, so it took me a while to break it down but here is how I saw it:

1) He stopped his dribble (grabbing the ball with both hands) while his right foot was in contact with the floor.

2) He then proceeded to jump off his right foot.

3) He then landed on his left foot.

4) He then leaped off his left foot.

5) He then landed on his right foot.

6) He then leaped off his right foot in an attempt to shoot the ball.

Casebook traveling.

MTD, Sr.
Agreed. It was 4, and possibly 5 steps total.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
Jay, in the play you are describing count 1 is his right foot and count 2 is his left foot, he is now no longer allowed to progress any further without penalty.
Thus it is no different than other travel rules in this situation.

Can you give me a specific example of a play/move that would be a travel in NFHS/NCAA etc... and legal in the NBA?
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 05:24pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
This will help your coach/player relationship......

From today's Washington Post:

"Cavaliers Coach Mike Brown, who was ejected in the fourth quarter for disputing an offensive foul on James, agreed with head official Bill Spooner's call that James indeed traveled on the possession."
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 05:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
From today's Washington Post:

"Cavaliers Coach Mike Brown, who was ejected in the fourth quarter for disputing an offensive foul on James, agreed with head official Bill Spooner's call that James indeed traveled on the possession."
Ouch, I hope Coach Brown has his resume in order.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 05:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

This is the only place the "crab dribble" is legal.

Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 06:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Think I'm Getting The Hang Of This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Crabs are decapods.
Here's my attempt at a mbryon to English translation:

"Crabs have ten legs"
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Here's my attempt at a mbyron to English translation:

"Crabs have ten legs"
Actually, that's the biological order to which crabs belong: the decapods are one type of crustacean. No translation needed!
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 08:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Funny that James even thinks it wasn't traveling:

Washington Wizards call LeBron James' 'crab dribble' traveling - ESPN

There's a charge called earlier where James traveled before contact - at least it appeared so to me.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Thus it is no different than other travel rules in this situation.

Can you give me a specific example of a play/move that would be a travel in NFHS/NCAA etc... and legal in the NBA?
The only thing different in the NBA is the "hop" travel, which the rule book states that a player is not allowed to alight off one foot and and have that same foot be the first to land. The rhythm of that is 1-1-2 meaning he can't alight off his left foot and the land with his left foot followed by his right foot, now if he lands with both, no problem.

As i have stated years before, there is really no difference in the pro and college rules in traveling. The only way it is refereed different, imo, is that referees at the college and HS level is that they call travels that are marginal or really inconclusive or too close to call or plays that look awkward, whereas in the pro game we are told that we MUST pick up the pivot foot and be 100% sure that it is a travel and if we don't know, not to guess even if you go "ohhhh! that looked funny". I believe that is why the pros catch gufff for quote unquote "they never call travels".
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 09:25pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Well, I watched it about 5 times. And I counted 3 steps every time after he had gathered the ball in. Guess he didn't do well in math class.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 10:20pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
It just keeps getting better here in DC.....

WASHINGTON (AP)—Add LeBron James’ “crab dribble” to the lengthy list of talking points in the Cavaliers-Wizards rivalry.

“I’ll have to check in my book to see what a ‘crab dribble’ is. I’m not quite sure,” Washington interim coach Ed Tapscott said with a smile Monday. “I do know that we don’t seem to get away with very many of them, whatever they are.”

James and the rest of the Cavaliers were given Monday off by coach Mike Brown, so the world will have to wait for more thoughts from them as to whether The Chosen One did, indeed, travel a day earlier when driving for a potential tying basket in the closing seconds of Cleveland’s 80-77 loss at Washington.

Referee Bill Spooner waved off the play and called the violation. Asked to clarify his ruling, Spooner wrote in an e-mail to a pool reporter: “3 steps on the move to the basket. Basic travel call.”

The NBA did not immediately respond to a request from The Associated Press to comment on whether Spooner made the correct call.

On Sunday, James said it was a “bad call” and that “they need to look at it and they need to understand that’s not a travel.”

In giving his take on what happened, James said: “I watched it again, and I took a ‘crab dribble,’ which is a hesitation dribble, and then two steps.”

Asked Monday if he knows what a “crab dribble” is, Wizards All-Star forward Antawn Jamison said, “I know what a traveling is. … I think we all know what traveling is.”

Washington’s other All-Star forward, Caron Butler, gave a similar answer.

“‘Crab dribble’ is when you, uh, travel,” Butler said. “That’s the hottest thing on the market right now.”

Turning to a more serious explanation, Butler said he thought James switched his pivot foot.
“I couldn’t do it in AAU, I couldn’t do it in college,” Butler said, “and obviously I can’t do it now.”

AP Sports Writer Tom Withers contributed to this report.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

... "Referee Bill Spooner waved off the play and called the violation. Asked to clarify his ruling, Spooner wrote in an e-mail to a pool reporter: "3 steps on the move to the basket. Basic travel call."

... "Asked Monday if he knows what a "crab dribble" is, Wizards All-Star forward Antawn Jamison said, "I know what a traveling is. ... I think we all know what traveling is."

So now we know who some of those unnamed "guests" reading this thread have been ...