The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Game management

I was just watching the Penn State/Wisconsin game. About 4 minutes left in the game, a little bump/push takes place in PS front court. Donnie Gray blew his whistle, goes to the two players talks to them for about 15 seconds, then leaves. Game is held up for about a minute. Then the ball is put back in play. Is this good game management, or should he have called something if he blew his whistle.

Also, with 13 seconds left in the game and PS on the line, he held up a second free throw for about 15-20 seconds while he talked to two players. Almost iced the PS free throw shooter. It was obvious the shooter was antsy to get his hands on the ball for the second throw.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Guess That You Had To Be There ???

Sounds to me like preventative officiating. If it worked, fine.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

First one sounds like he called a double foul but didn't report it. IOW, the effect was the same but without the extra foul charged to each player.
Second one sounds like something we've all done, but just not for nearly as long.

Both of those are things most of us wouldn't get away with. Not because they wouldn't work, but because they're not prescribed mechanics. Once you've progressed to that level, you can get away with trying things most of us would get reemed for.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 12:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Donnee Gray is very big on communicating. If he can diffuse a situation with his verbal skills then that's route he will take. Can you or I do the same? Probably not, but he is a multiple Final Four official. Just like certain individuals are given liberty with their mechanics.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchamp View Post
I was just watching the Penn State/Wisconsin game. About 4 minutes left in the game, a little bump/push takes place in PS front court. Donnie Gray blew his whistle, goes to the two players talks to them for about 15 seconds, then leaves. Game is held up for about a minute. Then the ball is put back in play.

Did he blow the whistle when the ball was in play? Sometimes officials when use this method when there is some pushing and they are about to administer a throw-in. I think it is more complicated to actually stop the game without calling a foul.