The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Nice coach....need a T????

Today in a tourney had a team visiting from outside the local area where they are apparently more liberal with the use of the coach's box. V coach was really nice, asked a few questions on a couple calls but nothing ugly. Third quarter I'm lead going to trail (3 man) table side after a made bucket when I notice the V coach is almost at the scorer's table ~ 5 feet out of the box yelling at his players. I shew him back to the box and tell him I gotta have him in the area. He apologizes and says he was trying to get his player's attention. I again let him know that the expectation is to be in the coaching area - "Yea I know, I know" he says. Couple times after that I saw partners doing the same thing. He was always screaming at his girls and again wasn't being provocative to the officials.

The fact that he was not screaming at the officials and actually doing his job, we as a crew gave him the benefit of the doubt about the situation. If the H coach, who likes to chew a$$ when anything goes wrong, would have done the same thing we probably would be shooting free throws after a warning.

How much leash should we give a "nice" coach? He wasn't a problem but I could see it becoming an issue if the other coach had noticed it. Game management input?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

After first mentioning it once and officially warning him, I would alert my partners. The next time, he's stuck.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:42am
In Time Out

different but another T situation. ESPN - Atlanta vs. New Jersey - Recap - January 02, 2009

"Frank was ejected by referee Luis Grillo 5 minutes into a very ugly second quarter.

To tell the truth, Frank seemingly wanted to leave. His team was scoreless in the quarter and it had only one basket in an 11-minute span that saw New Jersey fall behind 33-16 after Bibby hit the two free throws for the technicals and followed that with a basket."
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
After first mentioning it once and officially warning him, I would alert my partners. The next time, he's stuck.
Hasn't the coaching box been a POE several times in the past few years? Anyone? Anyone? Nevada?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
different but another T situation. ESPN - Atlanta vs. New Jersey - Recap - January 02, 2009

"Frank was ejected by referee Luis Grillo 5 minutes into a very ugly second quarter.

To tell the truth, Frank seemingly wanted to leave. His team was scoreless in the quarter and it had only one basket in an 11-minute span that saw New Jersey fall behind 33-16 after Bibby hit the two free throws for the technicals and followed that with a basket."
Curious.......what does this have to do with OP?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Nice or not, he's gotta follow the rules.

What happens if the other coach gets out of the box and gets warned? Then the finger pointing starts, and it's all downhill from there.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Coach, Please Stay In The Box ...

Here, in my little corner of the Land Of Steady Habits, I have never seen, at any interscholastic level, a coach get a technical foul for being outside the box and coaching. Lots of warning. Lots of reminders. I've been officiating longer than the coaching box has been around. That doesn't make it right, it's just an observation. We may be enablers, and we may be our own worst enemies, but "When in my little corner of Connecticut ...".

You know what's really odd about our "customs"? We have a really strict IAABO Connecticut/CIAC rule about having the coaching box marked: Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary, or Commissioner the next day.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 03, 2009 at 02:54pm.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Here, in my little corner of the Land Of Steady Habits, I have never seen, at any interscholastic level, a coach get a technical foul for being outside the box and coaching. Lots of warning. Lots of reminders. I've been officiating longer than the coaching box has been around. That doesn't make it right, it's just an observation. We may be enablers, and we may be our own worst enemies, but "When in my little corner of Connecticut ...".
I was U2 in a JV game recently where the R basically expressed this philosophy to the coaches. "If you're coaching, we probably aren't going to notice you." I was annoyed, but was boxed in. This is a guy who was only doing JV because in CO you have to do at least 2 JV games to be eligible for the playoffs; he let me know as much in pregame.

At half time, he mentioned that to the varsity guys that were following us; and I was happy to see they were as annoyed as I was.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

I realize that the OP is NHFS, but the NCAA-M has a very specific procedure outlined for this...

[snip]
1. If you formally warn a coach for coaching, out of the coaches' box, please report that warning to the official scorer AND ask him/her to note the time of the warning. An in arena announcement is not necessary nor desirable.
2. Inform your partners that you have warned Coach A about violating the coaching box rule.

An additional reminder about this rule, Rule10, Sec. 6, Art. 2, f., 1, is that this warning is to be given to a coach who violates the "coaching his team outside the coaches' box" rule. This warning is NOT to be used for coaches who violate rule, Rule 10, Sec. 5, Art. 2, Class A Unsporting Technical Infractions, while out of the coaches' box.
[/snip]

So in other words, at that level is doesn't matter if you're "just coaching", outside the box is outside the box.

Next time its supposed to be a CLASS B technical foul.

Think about this, he is gaining an advantage by being closer to the scorers table that he should be when play is on the other end.

Having said that, fed rules do make it pretty harsh to go that route, (FT's AND the ball AND loss of coaching box entirely).

Best to take care of it early.

Last edited by eyezen; Sat Jan 03, 2009 at 02:11pm.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
I realize that the OP is NHFS, but the NCAA-M has a very specific procedure outlined for this...

[snip]
1. If you formally warn a coach for coaching, out of the coaches' box, please report that warning to the official scorer AND ask him/her to note the time of the warning. An in arena announcement is not necessary nor desirable.
2. Inform your partners that you have warned Coach A about violating the coaching box rule.

Which is what we do, which it what I was suggesting in my reply above when I discussed "officially" warning him.

Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Which is what we do, which it what I was suggesting in my reply above when I discussed "officially" warning him.
Good for your area. I wish others (including mine) would come together on this as well.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Good for your area. I wish others (including mine) would come together on this as well.
We also put the stop sign in the book. "Coach, I've heard enough." Goes in the book. Inform your partners Coach A has been warned. Then, when the AD calls the assignor the next day and wants to know why his coach got a T, he can see in the book that he was given ample opportunity to clean up his act.