The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 10:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I'm looking at this situation like doing middle school games - yes, it's the coach's responsibility to know the rules, but many times officials will do the players the courtesy of explaining the rules throughout the game.
This I can appreciate, but just asking the coach if he has questions is opening up too much, IMO.

Me: "Coach, do you have any questions on rules differences?"
Coach: "Yeah, what are they?"
Me: "Timer, I need you to put 10 more minutes on the pregame clock. Coach, let's have a seat."
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This I can appreciate, but just asking the coach if he has questions is opening up too much, IMO.

Me: "Coach, do you have any questions on rules differences?"
Coach: "Yeah, what are they?"
Me: "Timer, I need you to put 10 more minutes on the pregame clock. Coach, let's have a seat."
Which bench area will you be sitting at? Will you invite the other coach into the conversation? Will you huddle both teams around, or just depend on the coaches to relay the information? Will you have a laminated copy of the rule differences handy?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Fwiw, I agree with Bob, it doesn't have to be a rules clinic before the game, but rather some clarifications on specific questions. Then simple reminders throughout the game.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 11:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There's a difference between 'do you have any questions on the rules?" and "Here are the differences between FIBA and NFHS."

The former lets the coach clarify any differences s/he thinks are important to the team that day (can we inbond right away after an oob call?, how many tos do I get? Can anyone request them?)
I can see this, it's what I would do, to be honest. But the OP indicated the coaches were unaware of what the differences were.

If a coach isn't aware of the differences, he's not going to know what questions to ask and will still blame (in the OP) the officials.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 11:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Will you have a laminated copy of the rule differences handy?
No, but I might suggest the coach do that before he leaves Canada.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 11:15am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
No, but I might suggest the coach do that before he leaves Canada.
In a perfect world, yes. Many coaches are also responsible for arranging travel, booking hotel rooms, all the while still coaching strategy and teaching skills.

As a coach for 7 years, I was lucky because I do have an officiating background, and therefore know up front to be aware of these issues, and can adapt easily to the different rules and how to explain the changes to my players. Most other people don't have that luxury.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 11:18am
Courageous When Prudent

I did a game with an Australian team this month. Coach came up to us during warm-ups and told us they did not know all the rules differences and please not to take any offense if his team did something wrong and that he might have questions during the game.

We said "no problem" and the game went on without a hitch. We just occasionally had to remind the coach to stay in his coaches' box.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Dec 31, 2008 at 01:18pm.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 11:54am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I can see this, it's what I would do, to be honest. But the OP indicated the coaches were unaware of what the differences were.

If a coach isn't aware of the differences, he's not going to know what questions to ask and will still blame (in the OP) the officials.
Not necessarily. The attitude of the officials toward the coach's questions during the game will have a huge impact on how things go. Example -

Coach asks a question and official calmly turns to him and says "Coach, that is one of those rule differences we talked about." Coach says "Oh, ok."

As opposed to Coach asks a question and official turns and looks at him like he is a complete moron, gives a disgusted look, and proceeds down the court.

Now which of those two situations will end with the coach blaming the official???
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I think you are lazy. Just my 2 cents.
So it makes me lazy for not knowing every single FIBA rule and how it differs from here?

Opening ourselves up for a long conversation about rule differences before the game is just asking for trouble. It was the semi-finals of the tournament so the teams had plenty of time and experience with the rules.

I place more responsibility on the coaches for knowing the rules beforehand, they should know what they are getting into.

What are we supposed to do, cut them a break because they don't know the rules? That's just wrong in itself.