The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating from the middle of the lane

I guess we can call this the anti-Ed Hightower directive.

6. I can't think of a play situation that is officiated better by the Lead, while standing under the basket in the middle of the lane, than one that is officiated by the lead from the strong or ball side.--John W. Adams

Anyone want to start a pool on whether he'll change?
How about if he'll work the NCAA tournament or Final Four?

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Dec 25, 2008 at 08:21am.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 01:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

I heard that Mr. Adams wants to change the status quo. It seems he has targeted some specific behaviors of long-time veteran officials.

This bulletin points out another tactic that is used by some Final Four regulars:

"10. After made baskets, the new trail official must “stay behind” to referee the throw in and then trail the dribbler up the floor until he can take a normal position as the trail (or now possibly center) official in the front court. It is unacceptable mechanic to referee the throw in after a made basket from a position on the playing court in front of the thrower-in."
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I guess we can call this the anit-Ed Hightower directive.

6. I can't think of a play situation that is officiated better by the Lead, while standing under the basket in the middle of the lane, than one that is officiated by the lead from the strong or ball side.--John W. Adams

Anyone want to start a pool on whether he'll change?
How about if he'll work the NCAA tournament or Final Four?

Some of this might just be semantics / mis-speaking. Wherever the L official is located is, by definition, the "strong side." Many people use the terms strong side and ball side interchangeably (since they are oftne the same and should be the same most of the time).

If that's the case in Mr. Adams' statement, then I agree with him. L should never move *away* from the ball to stand "in the paint." I don't follow specific officials as much as some of you jock-sniffers (and I'm not referrring to any person in particular here, and I'm not implying Nevada is one), so I don't know if Ted Valentine does this.

If Mr. Adams means that the L shouldn't move into the paint on a drive from C's side, then I disagree with him. You can get a better look at the weakside defense from the middle than you can from the far side if you are late to rotate (not necessarily through any fault of your own).
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If Mr. Adams means that the L shouldn't move into the paint on a drive from C's side, then I disagree with him. You can get a better look at the weakside defense from the middle than you can from the far side if you are late to rotate (not necessarily through any fault of your own).
This comes from the memo that BadNews cited and seems to be what Mr. Adams is trying to say.

4. The lead official MUST get to the strong or ball side of the court as quickly as
possible in order to get in good position to see the play start develop and finish.
There have been numerous observations of lead officials getting settled in on the
base line and not moving as ball moves from side to side on the court. Good positioning enhances our chances to get the plays right.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 08:10pm
Huck Finn

Bob, are you saying that you regularly look to call across the paint?
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 08:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
This comes from the memo that BadNews cited and seems to be what Mr. Adams is trying to say.

4. The lead official MUST get to the strong or ball side of the court as quickly as
possible in order to get in good position to see the play start develop and finish.
There have been numerous observations of lead officials getting settled in on the
base line and not moving as ball moves from side to side on the court. Good positioning enhances our chances to get the plays right.
This echoes what I've been getting drilled into me this year. Get over there!
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
"10. After made baskets, the new trail official must “stay behind” to referee the throw in and then trail the dribbler up the floor until he can take a normal position as the trail (or now possibly center) official in the front court. It is unacceptable mechanic to referee the throw in after a made basket from a position on the playing court in front of the thrower-in."
So, he thinks it's better to officiate this play from OOB, rather than to be a step inbounds where you can see the thrower, plane and defender?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:53pm
Esteemed Participant

I think that in both of these situations, Adams is attempting to get rid of some bad habits that have cropped up over the years...1)he is not saying "don't pinch the paint". He is saying "don't pinch the paint when you have had plenty of time to get your a$$ across the key and be in a good position to see the whole play"...2) The one step onto the court to get a better angle is fine. It's the guys that start walking up the court as soon as the ball goes through the net and then end up almost at the free throw line extended by the time the ball is actually inbounded. They are way out of position if anything happens to that inbound pass.

Again, I think he is just trying to clean up some sloppy mechanics that seem to have worked their way into the NCAA games.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I know this is NCAA and 3-man, but what is the philosophy for the Lead in a 2-man system? Since the Trail has his side clear to the endline, and the arc (top of the key) round to the foul line extended (The "L" Shape), shouldn't the Lead drift away from the T's endline coverage and focus only on the paint?
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 10:01pm
We don't rent pigs

I get so pumped when Nevada screws up....

Quote:
I guess we can call this the anit-Ed Hightower directive.
I guess this is NCAA shorthand for picking a nit? So many things are over my head.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 10:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I guess this is NCAA shorthand for picking a nit? So many things are over my head.
Wow, it's a Christmas miracle.

God bless us, every one.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
2) The one step onto the court to get a better angle is fine. It's the guys that start walking up the court as soon as the ball goes through the net and then end up almost at the free throw line extended by the time the ball is actually inbounded. They are way out of position if anything happens to that inbound pass.
Hopefully, you're correct. I could live with that. I don't want to get caught standing OOB behind the thrower on this play.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[FONT=Times-Roman]6. I can't think of a play situation that is officiated better by the Lead, while standing under the basket in the middle of the lane, than one that is officiated by the lead from the strong or ball side.--John W. Adams
I can, a drive right down the middle of the paint.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Bob, are you saying that you regularly look to call across the paint?
No.

But sometimes, there is a skip-pass-and-a-drive. OR. a drive-from-strong-side-and-a-dish-to-the-weak-side-when-the-defense-helps. Or a drive-from-the-top-against-a-zone.

Not enough time to rotate. But, at some point during those plays C will be straightlined (almost no matter where s/he goes), so L can move to help.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 10:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
So, he thinks it's better to officiate this play from OOB, rather than to be a step inbounds where you can see the thrower, plane and defender?
It's directed at officials who walk up the court with their back to the ball as it is being inbounded. I have noticed this often by certain officials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I can, a drive right down the middle of the paint.
I would prefer not to have the player coming directly at me. I would pinch the paint tightly but leave myself an angle to see the entire play.