View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I guess we can call this the anit-Ed Hightower directive.

6. I can't think of a play situation that is officiated better by the Lead, while standing under the basket in the middle of the lane, than one that is officiated by the lead from the strong or ball side.--John W. Adams

Anyone want to start a pool on whether he'll change?
How about if he'll work the NCAA tournament or Final Four?

Some of this might just be semantics / mis-speaking. Wherever the L official is located is, by definition, the "strong side." Many people use the terms strong side and ball side interchangeably (since they are oftne the same and should be the same most of the time).

If that's the case in Mr. Adams' statement, then I agree with him. L should never move *away* from the ball to stand "in the paint." I don't follow specific officials as much as some of you jock-sniffers (and I'm not referrring to any person in particular here, and I'm not implying Nevada is one), so I don't know if Ted Valentine does this.

If Mr. Adams means that the L shouldn't move into the paint on a drive from C's side, then I disagree with him. You can get a better look at the weakside defense from the middle than you can from the far side if you are late to rotate (not necessarily through any fault of your own).