The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

talking coaches

some coaches are constantly yapping about something all during the game. "you missed that call, watch the three seconds, their hacking us..etc.

After listening to a coach call out " three seconds" about 25 times, (BJV) at an opportune time I said "coach, if all i watch for out there is three seconds then I'm going to miss other plays or fouls, now sit down and coach your team"he did shut up, but i wasn't sure if i should have said anything.

One official I work with would tell them that what they are doing is unsportman like conduct and that was their warning.

what do all of the pros say????
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

I say you let him call out "three seconds" 23 or 24 times too many before warning him...

When coaches do this, I tell them I'm watching the lane, but each time they yell out "3 seconds", I lose track of the count in my head and have to start over at 0. That gets them to quiet down pretty quick.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
now sit down and coach your team"
Whatever you say, the last part of your phrase (quoted above) in inappropriate.

I usually start with "we'll watch for it."

Then, I do so. If I see something that's "close" but doesn't warrant a call, I'll tell the coach that next time down (e.g., "she moves out" or "he's allowed to try for a goal.")

If the coach then continues, I go to "coach, we've heard you and we're looking for it. That's enough."

Continued comments get a formal warning and then a whack.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

MY opinion... do not ever tell a coach to sit down and coach his team. This is only going to throw fuel on the fire in most cases. Much more good can be done by trying to talk the coach off the ledge with your people skills.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

First of all, I am not a pro, but I will weigh in anyway.

I don't think that telling a coach to "sit down and coach" is a very good response. That will get them mad almost every time and sounds disrespectful.

Maybe something like, "coach, you are asking for so many calls that you are distracting my crew."
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
I say you let him call out "three seconds" 23 or 24 times too many before warning him...

When coaches do this, I tell them I'm watching the lane, but each time they yell out "3 seconds", I lose track of the count in my head and have to start over at 0. That gets them to quiet down pretty quick.
Great line, I am going to star to use that.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

i like that responce too
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I guess being newer, I shouldn't have told the coach to sit down, but now I know.

But, how do the pro's handle a coach the kind of follows you, as you are running down he sidline, asking or telling the same type of things?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:49am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
But, how do the pro's handle a coach the kind of follows you, as you are running down he sidline, asking or telling the same type of things?
Not sure if any of those 61 post here.

Give stop sign when you've had enough, let your partner & anybody within earshot know that coach has been warned. If he continues, whack him & have your partner sit him down. If coach still doesnt get it, send him to the showers early. Coaches/players are like children, they will do what you allow them to do & oh yeah, some like to see how far they can go.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

First of all, don't call us "pros". I know guys that have been reffing 30+ years that I wouldn't call pros. Maybe "experienced" might be a better term.

Second, NFHS rules give us the ammo we need to get coaches off our backs. If a coach isn't letting up and constantly complaining, I wait for the next stoppage in play (or if he's a real pain, I wait for the next time his team gains possession - fast break or no I don't care). I blow my whistle, turn to the coach, and show him the stop sign for all to see. "Coach...I heard you, but you're not going to do this all game. That's enough." Next time - whack!
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
First of all, don't call us "pros". I know guys that have been reffing 30+ years that I wouldn't call pros. Maybe "experienced" might be a better term.

Second, NFHS rules give us the ammo we need to get coaches off our backs. If a coach isn't letting up and constantly complaining, I wait for the next stoppage in play (or if he's a real pain, I wait for the next time his team gains possession - fast break or no I don't care). I blow my whistle, turn to the coach, and show him the stop sign for all to see. "Coach...I heard you, but you're not going to do this all game. That's enough." Next time - whack!
Some might view this as unnecessarily confrontational. I would agree.
Just a quick word, quietly even, will usually work. You're wording is perfect, although I might drop the "that's enough" the first time.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Some might view this as unnecessarily confrontational. I would agree.
Just a quick word, quietly even, will usually work. You're wording is perfect, although I might drop the "that's enough" the first time.
"That's enough!" is actually what I would say the first time and it would be the only words needed.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
"That's enough!" is actually what I would say the first time and it would be the only words needed.
I could go with that, and I've used it, but I wouldn't stop the game and make a show out of embarrassing the coach.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I could go with that, and I've used it, but I wouldn't stop the game and make a show out of embarrassing the coach.
Agreed.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Indeed, that's why I say it. It pretty much leaves no other possible meaning or interpretation. It's telling the coach, "This is my line in the sand...cross it and you know what's coming."