The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Illegal substitution?

B6 comes off the bench for B5, who has just gotten his 5th foul.

Players line up for free throws, horn sounds, official goes over to table- steps out on the floor and calls a T, on the substituting team.

This kid played a good bit in the JV game earlier, what is the rule on quarters played in for NFHS??
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 08:56am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigda65 View Post

Players line up for free throws, horn sounds, official goes over to table- steps out on the floor and calls a T, on the substituting team.

This kid played a good bit in the JV game earlier, what is the rule on quarters played in for NFHS??
The NFHS book doesn't mention anything about quarters played. It would have to be a state rule, n'est pas?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 08:58am
Lighten up, Francis.

No technical for this. It's not our job to track who played in which game. Unless the state you're in has a specific rule stating that you give a T in this situation, it's nothing. The AD will file a report with the state after the game and the officials don't get involved at all.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Did B6 report to the scorer? Did B6 wait for an official to beckon him onto the floor?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

yes, and yes
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Okay, was there was an administrative problem with the scorebook or was the player wearing an illegal uniform?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Nevada,

Made a couple calls.

J R is right, In WV there is a 4 quarters played max, and he played in all four quarters of the JV game.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nevada,

Made a couple calls.

J R is right, In WV there is a 4 quarters played max, and he played in all four quarters of the JV game.
Okay, so what's the specified penalty in WV?
Should a T be charged? Can the kid now remain in the game or must he immediately depart? Does the team forfeit the contest? Did the game official handle it properly?

We have a five quarter rule here in NV for the smallest classification, but the game officials have absolutely nothing to do with the administration or enforcement of it. It is handled solely by the ADs and the state office, if they can't come to an agreement. If the rule is broken, that team will likely forfeit the contest upon a ruling by the state office at a later date. No decision is made on the court.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure what else was done, but he did continue to play - as a matter of fact he stayed in the game and played almost the entire 4th quarter.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm not sure what else was done, but he did continue to play - as a matter of fact he stayed in the game and played almost the entire 4th quarter.
Interesting. I think every state has a quarter limit for players, but I've never heard of actually assessing the technical foul. WV would be the only state I know of that puts this enforcement on the officials. I've never even had the opportunity to tell a coach it's not my job.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Interesting. I think every state has a quarter limit for players, but I've never heard of actually assessing the technical foul. WV would be the only state I know of that puts this enforcement on the officials. I've never even had the opportunity to tell a coach it's not my job.
Except maybe for Utah. No quarter limitations here.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Iowa has a number of games (perhaps it's quarters) a player may participate in a season. But that is to limit a player from playing all the games at multiple levels. For instance, a freshman player could not play the entire season with both freshman and varsity. He would exceed the maximum number of games/quarters played. However, this stipulation has nothing to do with the on-court officials. This is taken care of administratively by the ADs and state associations. Unless something has changed since I was "playing" a decade ago

-Josh
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

I believe Indiana has a limit for playing JV/Varsity, but I believe it is in the bylaws of IHSAA and not something that game officials handle. It is something that the school would have to address with IHSAA
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Same in Illinois.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Kansas just changed the rule this year to 6 quarters. 4 quarters is rough for small schools with few players.