Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Flagrant T

How would you go about assessing one?
A. to a coach
B. to a player?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

What do you mean? Do you mean under what circumstances, as in what would bring on a flagrant technical? Or do you mean how do you actually report it to the table?

If you're asking what it entails, it is a dead ball foul with contact or noncontact which is extreme or persistent, vulgar, or abusive conduct. That is the technical foul description. You can have a flagrant personal too which is a live ball foul.

Look at 4-19-4 for more help.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

How do you report it? do you let your partner inform the person committing? or do you do it yourself? and how to you report it to the table?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

There isn't a mechanic for when you actually put your fist in the air and call the foul. Just go to the table and report the player's number and that you have a flagrant technical and that he is disqualified. I haven't called a flagrant T, but I would imagine that the coach would already know what his player did to get it. If not, go over and explain what happened.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

so you would notify the coach, not the player? and what if it is on a coach? would you rather your partner notify the coach, that way nothing worse happens between the coach and yourself?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33 View Post
so you would notify the coach, not the player? and what if it is on a coach? would you rather your partner notify the coach, that way nothing worse happens between the coach and yourself?
If you called a FLAGRANT foul or technical, other than a short right jab in the middle of a scrum, everybody in the GYM should already know what has happened to force you to make that call.
The coach might not like it - but a calm explaination is all that should be required, you called it step up and explain it, your partner can not give an appropriate explaination to the coach - and if I were the coach I want the calling official to explain it to me.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Table: Flagrant T on (coach / player number). S/he is ejected.

If it was a player: Coach, player number xx has been disqualified.

If it was a coach: Have partner deal with it, just as in any "contentious" situation.

Although not a standard mechanic, many use the baseball "ejection" signal -- so there shouldn't be much surprise to anyone.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 09:27am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Table: Flagrant T on (coach / player number). S/he is ejected.

If it was a player: Coach, player number xx has been disqualified.

If it was a coach: Have partner deal with it, just as in any "contentious" situation.

Although not a standard mechanic, many use the baseball "ejection" signal -- so there shouldn't be much surprise to anyone.
I would like to add, make this call like you would any other foul call. Stay calm use a normal tone of voice, etc.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 05:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bobby Cox Knows This Signal Well ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Although not a standard mechanic, many use the baseball "ejection" signal, so there shouldn't be much surprise to anyone.
It's called the, "You're Outta Here" signal, and no, you won't find it in the NFHS manual, so don't use it (unless you really get pissed off at the coach, or a player).

Hey, who added the words within the parentheses? I thought that I was the only one who could edit my own posts?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)