The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
A1 dribbling down court full-tilt on a fast break with only B1 right next to her. Top of the key, B1 bumps A1 pretty hard, my partner blows whistle. As the players "run out", B1 jostles A1 again, probably just out of control. A1 picks up the ball and throws it in B1's face -- distance of about six inches. My partner called a T on A1.

After the game, we talked about it. My opinion was that it should have been flagrant. As it was, Coach A pulled A1 and she didn't play the rest of the game, but I think I still would have called it flagrant.

Opinions?

P.S. I didn't see the play, didn't even know what happened until later.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 11:33am
In Memoriam

If she deliberately threw it in another player's face(and I don't see how it could called be anything BUT deliberate),it sure sounds like a flagrant foul.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 11:34am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
A1 dribbling down court full-tilt on a fast break with only B1 right next to her. Top of the key, B1 bumps A1 pretty hard, my partner blows whistle. As the players "run out", B1 jostles A1 again, probably just out of control. A1 picks up the ball and throws it in B1's face -- distance of about six inches. My partner called a T on A1.

After the game, we talked about it. My opinion was that it should have been flagrant. As it was, Coach A pulled A1 and she didn't play the rest of the game, but I think I still would have called it flagrant.

Opinions?

This is obviously flagrant to me.
The only intent was to maim, injure or to cause bodily harm.
Should've been ejected, even if there was paperwork to do.
mick
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Opinions?

This is obviously flagrant to me.
The only intent was to maim, injure or to cause bodily harm.
Should've been ejected, even if there was paperwork to do.
mick
I think so too. Partner is new to Federation, and just didn't realize the tools she had to work with. Fortunately, coach is savvy enough that I'm sure this won't happen again!!
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

At what point does it become flagrant in a situation like this? I have not had this happen, but I have had some elbows that have been suspect. Where do you draw the line?
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

To me throwing a ball at a persons face is just like throwing a fist into someones face...but you have a farther reach....To me if it is to the point of instigating or antagonizing someone into a fight it is flagrant!

AK ref SE