The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Flagrant T or just a T?

8th grade competitive travel league....Two pretty good teams today...second half, visitors are fouling the heck out of the home team...had multiple illegal hands calls for slapping the arms when going for the ball and several blocking calls against the defense on airborne shooters where the D slid under the shooter...I think we had 4 of these where the bucket was good and we shot 1!

On one particular play, vistor player was whisteld for his 4th foul for a push on an offensive rebound...team foul #9...as I went to report, the offending player walked right past me and said "Man you guys suck".

I calmly T'd him and reported....

When I got it all sorted out and informed his coach what he said...coach said "Well I do have a question about the rebounding foul but that wasn't cool at all". He explained that he thought his guy had position down low....I simply told him "No, he was behind the defender and displaced him going after the ball". He was fine with both calls and immediately addressed his player for his comment....

So my question is this...would you consider this to be flagrant and toss him....I did not (and the T was his 5th so he was going to the bench anyway)....
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
8th grade competitive travel league....Two pretty good teams today...second half, visitors are fouling the heck out of the home team...had multiple illegal hands calls for slapping the arms when going for the ball and several blocking calls against the defense on airborne shooters where the D slid under the shooter...I think we had 4 of these where the bucket was good and we shot 1!

On one particular play, vistor player was whisteld for his 4th foul for a push on an offensive rebound...team foul #9...as I went to report, the offending player walked right past me and said "Man you guys suck".

I calmly T'd him and reported....

When I got it all sorted out and informed his coach what he said...coach said "Well I do have a question about the rebounding foul but that wasn't cool at all". He explained that he thought his guy had position down low....I simply told him "No, he was behind the defender and displaced him going after the ball". He was fine with both calls and immediately addressed his player for his comment....

So my question is this...would you consider this to be flagrant and toss him....I did not (and the T was his 5th so he was going to the bench anyway)....
justa T
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Only from what you've posted (which is no substitute for being there) the T would be enough for me.

Flagrants for me are pretty rare - fighting obviously, severe contact on a foul, or profanity directed at me or directly at another player are about it.

That said, depending on tone, I could see it, but my first reaction is that a T for unsporting conduct is good.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:30pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Nah, it wasn't vulgar or abusive. It was disrespectful; no more, no less. T him up and move on. You done good.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to refman1964
Just the T seems apropriate. If he had gotten vuglar or talked about my mother then maybe think about makin it flagrant
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 11:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by refman1964
If he had gotten vuglar
Does that rhyme with "juggler"?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming the game was being played under Fed rules, what do you buy yourself by calling a "Flagrant T"?

He's going to the bench area either way for the rest of the game. Most of the people in the gym aren't going to understand the difference so I would say why confuse the issue.

The only way I might give a Flagrant in this sitch is if he dropped an "F-bomb" in his statement and I knew that the league suspends players who are ejected.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Just a T.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz
Assuming the game was being played under Fed rules, what do you buy yourself by calling a "Flagrant T"?

He's going to the bench area either way for the rest of the game. Most of the people in the gym aren't going to understand the difference so I would say why confuse the issue.

The only way I might give a Flagrant in this sitch is if he dropped an "F-bomb" in his statement and I knew that the league suspends players who are ejected.
You assume that the coach is going to bench him for the rest of the game if you just give him a "T"? I wouldn't be so quick to assume that, its funny how coaches tend to forget the "little things" that their kids do when it comes down to the end of the game and they need them in there...I would probably give him just a T anyway though...

Nevermind, just read that it was his 5th foul, so you are correct...what's the difference?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 01:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz

While I agree that it's a standard T, I disagree with this entire post.

1. Who cares what you "buy yourself" with a Flagrant T? If the conduct earns a flagrant T, give the flagrant T; even if it would be his 5th personal.

2. Who cares what the rest of the gym knows?

3. Who cares what the league policy is? Kid drops an F-bomb directed at me, it's flagrant regardless of whether the league suspends for it.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by biz

Yah I agree with Biz, if says something to you that is referred to you our your partner that involves vulgar/flagrant language, like calling you a god darn Mother *(&*(*(*. Then by all means toss him. A direct technical foul is fine in your scenario. Since it's 8th grade take him to the coach and treat him like a baby to let him know you are serious. Hey coach no 10 here needs a timeout since he his being disrespectful. I don't know where he got it from, but I know you are good coach and don't teach your players to disrespect adults/officials.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Plain vanilla T.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Plain vanilla T.
In my neighborhood it's a plain chocolate T.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Chocolate, vanilla or whatever I would have ejected the little sh1t.