The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Flagrant T (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50512-flagrant-t.html)

swkansasref33 Tue Dec 23, 2008 02:44am

Flagrant T

How would you go about assessing one?
A. to a coach
B. to a player?

zm1283 Tue Dec 23, 2008 03:13am

What do you mean? Do you mean under what circumstances, as in what would bring on a flagrant technical? Or do you mean how do you actually report it to the table?

If you're asking what it entails, it is a dead ball foul with contact or noncontact which is extreme or persistent, vulgar, or abusive conduct. That is the technical foul description. You can have a flagrant personal too which is a live ball foul.

Look at 4-19-4 for more help.

swkansasref33 Tue Dec 23, 2008 03:15am

How do you report it? do you let your partner inform the person committing? or do you do it yourself? and how to you report it to the table?

zm1283 Tue Dec 23, 2008 03:19am

There isn't a mechanic for when you actually put your fist in the air and call the foul. Just go to the table and report the player's number and that you have a flagrant technical and that he is disqualified. I haven't called a flagrant T, but I would imagine that the coach would already know what his player did to get it. If not, go over and explain what happened.

swkansasref33 Tue Dec 23, 2008 03:30am

so you would notify the coach, not the player? and what if it is on a coach? would you rather your partner notify the coach, that way nothing worse happens between the coach and yourself?

OHBBREF Tue Dec 23, 2008 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by swkansasref33 (Post 560917)
so you would notify the coach, not the player? and what if it is on a coach? would you rather your partner notify the coach, that way nothing worse happens between the coach and yourself?

If you called a FLAGRANT foul or technical, other than a short right jab in the middle of a scrum, everybody in the GYM should already know what has happened to force you to make that call.
The coach might not like it - but a calm explaination is all that should be required, you called it step up and explain it, your partner can not give an appropriate explaination to the coach - and if I were the coach I want the calling official to explain it to me.

bob jenkins Tue Dec 23, 2008 09:16am

Table: Flagrant T on (coach / player number). S/he is ejected.

If it was a player: Coach, player number xx has been disqualified.

If it was a coach: Have partner deal with it, just as in any "contentious" situation.

Although not a standard mechanic, many use the baseball "ejection" signal -- so there shouldn't be much surprise to anyone.

SmokeEater Tue Dec 23, 2008 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 560975)
Table: Flagrant T on (coach / player number). S/he is ejected.

If it was a player: Coach, player number xx has been disqualified.

If it was a coach: Have partner deal with it, just as in any "contentious" situation.

Although not a standard mechanic, many use the baseball "ejection" signal -- so there shouldn't be much surprise to anyone.

I would like to add, make this call like you would any other foul call. Stay calm use a normal tone of voice, etc.

BillyMac Tue Dec 23, 2008 05:52pm

Bobby Cox Knows This Signal Well ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 560975)
Although not a standard mechanic, many use the baseball "ejection" signal, so there shouldn't be much surprise to anyone.

It's called the, "You're Outta Here" signal, and no, you won't find it in the NFHS manual, so don't use it (unless you really get pissed off at the coach, or a player).

Hey, who added the words within the parentheses? I thought that I was the only one who could edit my own posts? ;)