The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

From the C ...

The T is deep in the backcourt with the A1 (who as the ball) and B1.

A1 fires a baseball pass to A2 who is near the division line. A2 catches it with one foot in F/C and the other in B/C. A2 lifts foot in B/C and gets stuck an then throws to A3 who is in the B/C.

The T is way behind the play and as trouble seeing it. It was difficult to tell if this was a violation and second is it o.k. for C to call this?

Last edited by Johnny Ringo; Tue Dec 23, 2008 at 11:58am.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
When A2 lifted foot in BC, A2 gave the ball FC status. Passing it back to A3 in BC = Backcourt Violation. I work more 2 man and if T is deep in BC and pass is to division line, I surely wouldn't mind help from the L, so I can't imagine not helping as a C.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

They say all three points - both feet and ball - in this case the ball was never dribbled in FC.

To all of those who work 3-man: are you ok with the C calling a B/C violation?
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 08:47pm
This IS My Social Life

C Linger Momentarily at D-L in Transition?

This was considered about three weeks ago in a thread asking if, in transition, C should pause at the division line. The consensus back then was that it was a good idea in order to catch a good glimpse down the division line in case of a close play exactly as you bring up.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
They say all three points - both feet and ball - in this case the ball was never dribbled in FC.

IN high school at least, all three points is only in reference to a player dribbling the ball.

Someone just standing there has FC status as soon as his back foot leaves the back court.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Quote:
Three points is true when the ball is being dribbled but location here is based on the players feet. One foot in BC ball has BC status, when the foot in BC gets lifted, only one foot down in FC ball also has FC status now.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:03pm
Ch1town

Quote:

A1 fires a baseball pass to A2 who is near the division line. A2 catches it with one foot in F/C and the other in B/C. A2 lifts foot in B/C and gets stuck an then throws to A3 who is in the B/C.

The T is way behind the play and as trouble seeing it. First, is this a violation and second is it o.k. for C to call this?
Is the C located somewhere near the division line or at the division line with a 100% high certainty look? The F/C foot isnt still touching the division line?

Quote:

Rules reference please...

I think it's good teamwork & for the good of the game to pick-up something that matters if a partner missed it. That's what partners are for.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The T is way behind the play and as trouble seeing it. First, is this a violation and second is it o.k. for C to call this?
Yes it's a violation. When A2 lifted the foot in B/C, his location was F/C. Then he passed to a player in B/C.

Yes, it's good for the C to give help on this play. That's why we have 3 officials (to get good play coverage).
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Yes it was a B/C violation ... just wanted to know what all thought about the C calling a B/C violation. Thanks!
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:29pm
Esteemed Participant

Absolutely the C's call in this situation. T is stuck deep, C is right there and sees it - go get it. Beautiful call for the C to make.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Look at 4.4.1 in the case book, it explains the backcourt violation and when its not BC. As far as the C making the call, I have no problem with that. We have always been told to have a strong C.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

The T is way behind the play and has trouble seeing it. First, is this a violation and second is it o.k. for C to call this?
1 billion % yes. It is ok for the C to call this violation.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:20pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Part of my pre-game is that C has primary responsibility for any violations between the free throw circles in transition, even on the opposite side of the floor.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm the one who brought this up; I felt when I made it that it was a good get for C and that was confirmed here.

My play was slightly different. B1 steals the pass in transition with both feet just inside the front court. As he takes off towards his basket, his back foot steps back onto the line as a sort of momentum gathering move. I hit it as C and feel good about it. T didn't see it the same way and questioned me on it later.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My motto: "Call whatever you want in my area. Just make sure you are correct."

Everything else is noise and ego. If you are 100%, make the call on that. That's being a good crewmate.