The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Running out on end lines

Saw this the other night and wanted some input. Post runs out of bounds on offensive on end around the lane and reenters. Calls for ball but doesn't get it ... no whistle. Same player does the same thing again a couple of minutes later and received the ball after... still no whistle. What would you have called and what would your mechanic have been?

Last edited by refnrev; Sat Dec 20, 2008 at 09:30am.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 09:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Saw this the other night and wanted some input. Post runs out of bounds on offensive on end around the lane and reenters. Calls for ball but doesn't get it ... no whistle. Same player does the same thing again a couple of minutes later and received the ball after... still no whistle. What would you have called and what would your mechanic have been?
If you search the deep archives on here, you'll see that I called this once in a BV tournament final. It was a T then.

I just checked the rule now, and I couldn't find it. Hmph. Anyone?
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

The rule now is an OOB violation.

As for whether it should be called, some would argue not to call it in scenario one where no advantage was gained, others would argue to call it regardless of whether the ball comes his way.

Most would say it should be called in scenario two for sure.

My view was originally only to call this when an advantage is gained, but I changed my thoughts that if it is blatant, regardless of the advantage gained, it should be called. If it's not going to be called in scenario one, then some sort of verbal warning about staying in bounds better be given or he's going to be penalized for the exact same action the next time down the court...
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 09:57am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

That's what I thought, jdw. Phew.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

What confused me is that used to be a T. I thought it was now just a violation but not 100% sure. I think it was not called in that game because of the point disrepancy... it was the losing team that violated and it was never going to have any impact on the game. Or maybe he just missed it?
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

I do call this a violation only if the player that reenters immediately receives the ball. There is no advantage gained if he did not get the ball.

The way I see it, if the player was trying to avoid a screen to get the pass, you have to get it. If he was avoiding the screen to avoid a crash under the bucket, then let it go.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

I am going to chime in here. You stated that you would only call it if there is no advantage.... What other violations do you ignore because there is no advantage?

Hate to tell you but if they run OOB to avoid a screen, no matter what the reason, the player got an adavntage so allowed by NFHS rules. Cant call it like the NBA or NCAA...

How do you explain to a coach (who most likely knows it's illegal) that you did not call it the 8 times in three and 3/4 quarters because the player did not touch the ball, but in the last two minutes you called it because of an apparent advantage.

If you call it the first time, it establishes your boundaries...

It is just like other things that happen in the game that coaches do... I have had several games after calling the off ball/illegal screen call, that I have heard coaches say that you know what their going to call tonight so back off the screen...

Gotta Call it...
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 04:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Things That Make You Go Hmm ..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
If they run OOB to avoid a screen, no matter what the reason, the player got an advantage so allowed by NFHS rules.
Agree (almost). I might warn the player the first time that they do it to avoid the screen, but that's the only warning that they'll get, after that it's a violation. I had this play two years ago. The first time they ran the play, I was the lead and the player almost knocked me over. That made me think "hmmm ... violation?". After a switch, they ran the same play and my partner, now the lead, called the violation, and we hadn't even talked about it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)