The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Double foul....thank you forum!

Had a good BV game tonight between two state ranked 6A schools. 4th quarter white up 2, blue shoots FT misses and white rebounds with play starting to go other way. W1 and B1 start a little extra pushing and partner calls a double foul. I'm @ C so I run over to where the action is and try to line the players up for white throw in. Since reading this forum, I know this was changed a couple years ago (thanks Nevada). Partner doesn't read this forum, neither does U1. Even the table, who is another referee in our association, puts both thumbs up indicating jump ball or alternating possesion. Arrow points blue. I was U2 but tried to talk with the R - calling official.

Me: "Bobby, white ball from POI". Bobby "that's only in college". Me "ugh".

Blue got the ball. Luckily, white made a clanky, hit every piece of rim you can, free throw with 2.1 seconds left to win.

We looked it up after the game and I had three seasoned officials with their jaws gapped open after reading 10-6 penalties 1C.

As Nevada told me after my first post here, sometimes you don't really know what you think you know.

Last edited by derwil; Sat Dec 20, 2008 at 12:34am. Reason: I can't spell - I was U2
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 12:30am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Your P (the R?) doesn't read the forum. Neither does the U2. But you are the U2. And you read the forum. . .

PS: good job, but try to stay to your guns more next time.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Srry - I was U2 - U1 doesn't read the forum and I type like crap. Typo removed.

Last edited by derwil; Sat Dec 20, 2008 at 12:37am.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

If it was something this obvious, I would stick to my guns more. I would be kind of PO'd that my two "seasoned" partners overruled me about something they are expected to know.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
We looked it up after the game and I had three seasoned officials with their jaws gapped open after reading 10-6 penalties 1C.

As Nevada told me after my first post here, sometimes you don't really know what you think you know.
It is a difficult thing for many people to do, but the key is that once an individual opens his mind to this possibility, that person can learn a great deal! As you know, your crew didn't get the call right in that particular game, but you helped open the eyes of two other officials tonight. That is going to mean more in the long run. They will be better official for learning this and you now have some serious credibility with these guys when you work with them in the future. I'm sure that next time they will be much more willing to listen to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
If it was something this obvious, I would stick to my guns more. I would be kind of PO'd that my two "seasoned" partners overruled me about something they are expected to know.
As the junior guy (U2), he handled it well. He gave the proper information to the calling official and let him make the decision. I can agree that he might have tried to do a little more convincing, but that is difficult with seasoned partners who are "certain" that they are right and one certainly does not want to get into a big battle over something like this on the court. It is best handled in the lockerroom afterwards. Something that I have found works well is to tell the big dog that you are positive and if he does it your way you will take the heat, but if he does it his way he has to answer for it. Furthermore, let him know that you are willing to bet a cold one on it if you can prove to him that you are right later, and then let him make the decision.

A large part of working with veteran officials is about earning their respect. That can be done in various ways, but you never want to embarrass a veteran, even though he is incorrect, that won't get you anything but negativity down the road.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 10:33am
#thereferee99

Break out my recently learned phrase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Had a good BV game tonight between two state ranked 6A schools. 4th quarter white up 2, blue shoots FT misses and white rebounds with play starting to go other way. W1 and B1 start a little extra pushing and partner calls a double foul. I'm @ C so I run over to where the action is and try to line the players up for white throw in. Since reading this forum, I know this was changed a couple years ago (thanks Nevada). Partner doesn't read this forum, neither does U1. Even the table, who is another referee in our association, puts both thumbs up indicating jump ball or alternating possesion. Arrow points blue. I was U2 but tried to talk with the R - calling official.

Me: "Bobby, white ball from POI". Bobby "that's only in college". Me "ugh".

Blue got the ball. Luckily, white made a clanky, hit every piece of rim you can, free throw with 2.1 seconds left to win.

... Gentlemen, we can do it your way, but the rules book DOES NOT SUPPORT IT.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 10:36am
#thereferee99

Big Dog management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Something that I have found works well is to tell the big dog that you are positive and if he does it your way you will take the heat, but if he does it his way he has to answer for it. Furthermore, let him know that you are willing to bet a cold one on it if you can prove to him that you are right later, and then let him make the decision.

Added to the notebook. Thanks.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

what i dont get is that this is more than just not reading the forums -- these are simple rule modifications that ALL officials should know. its almost as if they never got the memo that a 3 point line was added.