The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 12:18am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 350
Double foul....thank you forum!

Had a good BV game tonight between two state ranked 6A schools. 4th quarter white up 2, blue shoots FT misses and white rebounds with play starting to go other way. W1 and B1 start a little extra pushing and partner calls a double foul. I'm @ C so I run over to where the action is and try to line the players up for white throw in. Since reading this forum, I know this was changed a couple years ago (thanks Nevada). Partner doesn't read this forum, neither does U1. Even the table, who is another referee in our association, puts both thumbs up indicating jump ball or alternating possesion. Arrow points blue. I was U2 but tried to talk with the R - calling official.

Me: "Bobby, white ball from POI". Bobby "that's only in college". Me "ugh".

Blue got the ball. Luckily, white made a clanky, hit every piece of rim you can, free throw with 2.1 seconds left to win.

We looked it up after the game and I had three seasoned officials with their jaws gapped open after reading 10-6 penalties 1C.

As Nevada told me after my first post here, sometimes you don't really know what you think you know.
__________________
If it's a foul on that end, IT'S GOTTA BE A FOUL ON THIS END!!!!!

Last edited by derwil; Sat Dec 20, 2008 at 12:34am. Reason: I can't spell - I was U2
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 12:30am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Your P (the R?) doesn't read the forum. Neither does the U2. But you are the U2. And you read the forum. . .

PS: good job, but try to stay to your guns more next time.
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 12:34am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 350
Srry - I was U2 - U1 doesn't read the forum and I type like crap. Typo removed.
__________________
If it's a foul on that end, IT'S GOTTA BE A FOUL ON THIS END!!!!!

Last edited by derwil; Sat Dec 20, 2008 at 12:37am.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 03:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,266
If it was something this obvious, I would stick to my guns more. I would be kind of PO'd that my two "seasoned" partners overruled me about something they are expected to know.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 06:08am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
We looked it up after the game and I had three seasoned officials with their jaws gapped open after reading 10-6 penalties 1C.

As Nevada told me after my first post here, sometimes you don't really know what you think you know.
It is a difficult thing for many people to do, but the key is that once an individual opens his mind to this possibility, that person can learn a great deal! As you know, your crew didn't get the call right in that particular game, but you helped open the eyes of two other officials tonight. That is going to mean more in the long run. They will be better official for learning this and you now have some serious credibility with these guys when you work with them in the future. I'm sure that next time they will be much more willing to listen to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
If it was something this obvious, I would stick to my guns more. I would be kind of PO'd that my two "seasoned" partners overruled me about something they are expected to know.
As the junior guy (U2), he handled it well. He gave the proper information to the calling official and let him make the decision. I can agree that he might have tried to do a little more convincing, but that is difficult with seasoned partners who are "certain" that they are right and one certainly does not want to get into a big battle over something like this on the court. It is best handled in the lockerroom afterwards. Something that I have found works well is to tell the big dog that you are positive and if he does it your way you will take the heat, but if he does it his way he has to answer for it. Furthermore, let him know that you are willing to bet a cold one on it if you can prove to him that you are right later, and then let him make the decision.

A large part of working with veteran officials is about earning their respect. That can be done in various ways, but you never want to embarrass a veteran, even though he is incorrect, that won't get you anything but negativity down the road.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 10:33am
#thereferee99
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 624
Break out my recently learned phrase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Had a good BV game tonight between two state ranked 6A schools. 4th quarter white up 2, blue shoots FT misses and white rebounds with play starting to go other way. W1 and B1 start a little extra pushing and partner calls a double foul. I'm @ C so I run over to where the action is and try to line the players up for white throw in. Since reading this forum, I know this was changed a couple years ago (thanks Nevada). Partner doesn't read this forum, neither does U1. Even the table, who is another referee in our association, puts both thumbs up indicating jump ball or alternating possesion. Arrow points blue. I was U2 but tried to talk with the R - calling official.

Me: "Bobby, white ball from POI". Bobby "that's only in college". Me "ugh".

Blue got the ball. Luckily, white made a clanky, hit every piece of rim you can, free throw with 2.1 seconds left to win.

We looked it up after the game and I had three seasoned officials with their jaws gapped open after reading 10-6 penalties 1C.

As Nevada told me after my first post here, sometimes you don't really know what you think you know.
... Gentlemen, we can do it your way, but the rules book DOES NOT SUPPORT IT.
__________________
-- #thereferee99
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 10:36am
#thereferee99
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 624
Big Dog management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Something that I have found works well is to tell the big dog that you are positive and if he does it your way you will take the heat, but if he does it his way he has to answer for it. Furthermore, let him know that you are willing to bet a cold one on it if you can prove to him that you are right later, and then let him make the decision.

Added to the notebook. Thanks.
__________________
-- #thereferee99
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,499
what i dont get is that this is more than just not reading the forums -- these are simple rule modifications that ALL officials should know. its almost as if they never got the memo that a 3 point line was added.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double foul tomegun Basketball 18 Thu May 05, 2005 09:08am
Double foul Gmoore Basketball 8 Fri Jan 28, 2005 05:12pm
DOUBLE FOUL???? mtbabo Basketball 6 Mon Aug 16, 2004 09:02pm
Double foul Adam Basketball 9 Tue Mar 25, 2003 06:34pm
Double Foul commish Basketball 9 Tue Dec 26, 2000 03:09pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1