View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
We looked it up after the game and I had three seasoned officials with their jaws gapped open after reading 10-6 penalties 1C.

As Nevada told me after my first post here, sometimes you don't really know what you think you know.
It is a difficult thing for many people to do, but the key is that once an individual opens his mind to this possibility, that person can learn a great deal! As you know, your crew didn't get the call right in that particular game, but you helped open the eyes of two other officials tonight. That is going to mean more in the long run. They will be better official for learning this and you now have some serious credibility with these guys when you work with them in the future. I'm sure that next time they will be much more willing to listen to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
If it was something this obvious, I would stick to my guns more. I would be kind of PO'd that my two "seasoned" partners overruled me about something they are expected to know.
As the junior guy (U2), he handled it well. He gave the proper information to the calling official and let him make the decision. I can agree that he might have tried to do a little more convincing, but that is difficult with seasoned partners who are "certain" that they are right and one certainly does not want to get into a big battle over something like this on the court. It is best handled in the lockerroom afterwards. Something that I have found works well is to tell the big dog that you are positive and if he does it your way you will take the heat, but if he does it his way he has to answer for it. Furthermore, let him know that you are willing to bet a cold one on it if you can prove to him that you are right later, and then let him make the decision.

A large part of working with veteran officials is about earning their respect. That can be done in various ways, but you never want to embarrass a veteran, even though he is incorrect, that won't get you anything but negativity down the road.