Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

contact solution, extra piece of gum and spare lanyard
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 07:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Heads I Win, Tails You Lose ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I used to carry a half-dollar coin when the Iowa girls experimented with Billy Mac's rule change.
How did you like the coin flip instead of the jump ball? How did the coaches/players/administrators like it?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Jacket pockets -- reading glasses (for the book), chapstick (for chapped lips!).

Pants pocket -- tissue or two, spare hair band.
Juulie - I might have to start carrying the extra hair band! never thought of that, especially since this is the first year that my hair is long enough for one~! I started last year carrying a spare whistle in pants pocked because I had a brand new whistle that sounded like a cow dying... so embarrasing. Lesson learned.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How did you like the coin flip instead of the jump ball? How did the coaches/players/administrators like it?
Honestly? It was easier, but it just didn't feel right. It really felt like we were patronizing the girls; as if we had to protect them. May as well do 6 player ball, IMO.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 11:21am
Huck Finn

Hmm. I don't carry a spare whistle either. If something happens I will go get another one. If something happens with the ball, we will try all of them before going a needle.

I need to carry a hanky, but as of now the only thing I have in my pocket is an Apple Jolly Rancher.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 11:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Hmm. I don't carry a spare whistle either. If something happens I will go get another one. If something happens with the ball, we will try all of them before going a needle.

I need to carry a hanky, but as of now the only thing I have in my pocket is an Apple Jolly Rancher.
I used to feel this way about a needle, but I've found that looking for a ball out of a stack of balls usually yields all balls that are over-inflated.

Now I carry a needle and I only deal with one ball. I do get some funny looks from the occasional coach, but I'm okay with that.

Last Tuesday I had a ball where I must've removed about 10 seconds worth of air. I bounced the ball from 6 feet and it must've come up about 5.5 feet.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 11:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

Isaac Newton Would Be Impressed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Last Tuesday I had a ball where I must've removed about 10 seconds worth of air. I bounced the ball from 6 feet and it must've come up about 5.5 feet.
What would be scary is if you bounced it from six feet and it came up six and a half feet.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 11:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Four Out Of Five ...

Quote:
The only thing I have in my pocket is an Apple Jolly Rancher.
My dentist recommends sugarless cough drops.
He would not do well in retail.

Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 12:21pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Complete ditto to what Snaq said. I knew mutliple players that played just before the rule change, and when I told them of it, they would, without exception, scowl at me about it.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 01:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

The problem with looking for a ball, is that they schools do not often make many balls available. Or they are intent on using a specific ball because it is newer than they warm-up rack. At least that is my experience.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The problem with looking for a ball, is that they schools do not often make many balls available. Or they are intent on using a specific ball because it is newer than they warm-up rack. At least that is my experience.

Peace
That's the way it's been in every game I've done. There is ONE game ball. Take it or leave it.

In two years, it's always been within specs airwise though, FWIW.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 03:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
That's the way it's been in every game I've done. There is ONE game ball. Take it or leave it.

In two years, it's always been within specs airwise though, FWIW.
Varsity boys Friday night, the ball had a little too much hop in it. None of us had a needle, so the R had the AD get one from their closet. Easy enough.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 03:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Varsity boys Friday night, the ball had a little too much hop in it. None of us had a needle, so the R had the AD get one from their closet. Easy enough.
So you had to chase down the AD (assuming they are in the gym at all), have them get the key to the right place (which they may not have) so you can get another basketball that may or may not have the right amount of air? As opposed to having a little device that costs less than a $1 and having it in your pocket which would take you only seconds to let out a very small amount of air.

I have had problems getting a person to open up our locker room, I do not think I want to chase down someone to "find" basketballs that may or may not have a decent bounce ratio. Then again, that is my experience.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 05:11pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
That hasn't happened to me and maybe that would make me change what I carry. So far I've rarely had this become an issue and when the ball does have too much air there is another one to use.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 05:14pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
I just don't get this. Didn't both teams just get done warming up with multiple balls? I'm assuming the answer is yes and if so, we would play with one of those.