The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

I have a pair of gloves I keep in my back pockets when I bat. Is it right to have the umpire to tell me to tuck them in?

Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 10:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by gruberted
I have a pair of gloves I keep in my back pockets when I bat. Is it right to have the umpire to tell me to tuck them in?

gruberted,
Allowable equipment should be worn properly.
Back pockets are not the customary place for gloves.

If, when at bat, your gloves are hit by pitch, please continue at bat, because your improper equipment was all that was hit, much like an untucked jersey.

Similarly, if you are are tagged on your gloves or your untucked jersey, please head to the dugout.

If you simply put the gloves in your pocket, this all goes away.

Have a good game.
mick

Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Smile

gruberted,

Being a feeble-minded coach, I am incapable of discerning any moral dimension in your question. But, if the umpire so instructs you, just do it! Trust me on this.

In case no one ever explained this to you, those are typically worn on your hands when batting, and placed in your pockets at other times.

Thank you for your entertaining post.

JM
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachJM

In case no one ever explained this to you, those are typically worn on your hands when batting, and placed in your pockets at other times.

Thank you for your entertaining post.
The hecklers at the college games in my town have this to say when an opposing player comes to the plate with batting gloves hanging out of their pockets:

THERE'S A MAN CRAWLING OUT OF YOUR PANTS!

Funny stuff.

My favorite is the sign that reads:

Dear Mom,
Be home soon. Can't throw strikes. Going to lose my scholarship.
Love,
[ pitchers name ]

Sorry for getting so off topic

[Edited by moorg on Apr 21st, 2005 at 08:43 AM]
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Nope,

"Being a feeble-minded coach . . . "

And I do not believe ANY part of that statement.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As a former college player, I know exactly why you want to keep them dangling out of your pockets. The gloves are sweaty and dangling them out allows the gloves to blow in the breeze and air out. It also gets you style points and that is important for a young person

However, some umpires have nothing better to do than go on a power trip. It is best to indulge them in their fantasies and tuck the gloves in immediatley upon request. Failure to immediately indulge a certain type of umpire on a power trip might result in your strike zone being larger.

Many players give the gloves to the base coach after they get on base. This keeps them out of their pockets where they might rot in all of the dampness.

Peter
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 09:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Many players give the gloves to the base coach after they get on base. This keeps them out of their pockets where they might rot in all of the dampness.
Peter,
Gruberted puts his on after he gets on base
[ala Willie Mays Hayes, sliding gloves].

Or, he just keeps 'em in his pocket.

mick
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

it is right and proper for the umpire to tell you anything

Ive told pitchers to remove dangling batting gloves from their back pockets, but I could care less if any other position does that.

[Edited by LMan on Apr 21st, 2005 at 10:36 AM]
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Who cares???? If he wants to wear them or put them in his pocket. Why would an umpire say anything to the batter about his batting gloves? Is there somewhere in the rulebook that prohibits this?

Mick, you are right. If the gloves are HBP then we stay here. If he is tagged on gloves, he is out. That is the end of it.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

It's preventative officiating. Telling a batter to tuck in his gloves prevents the inevitable argument that will occur if he his gloves are touched by a pitched ball and he is put back into the box or if he is called out for being tagged on the gloves.

Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

The thing is I have two pairs one for batting and another for base running. It's also for style points as well. Is there an official rule though?

Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Yes, the official rule is that you have too many pairs of gloves. I'm not sure how having something black hanging from your butt adds style, but maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

Seriously, though. There's no specific rule against it, but is this a battle you really want to fight with the umpire? Put them all the way in your pocket and bat.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 11:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
The thing is I have two pairs one for batting and another for base running. It's also for style points as well. Is there an official rule though?

Who cares if there is? What, are you going to tell the umpire "You can't make me -- there's no such rule?"

And the umpire, in all codes, has authority to rule on anything not covered in the rules. So if you need a rule, that's the one.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

preventative? Argument? I guess if you want to say something that is your choice, but I could care less if the batter wants to have gloves in his pocket.

If a coach wants to come out and discuss why I did not give his batter first, then come on down.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Alright thats all I needed to know. But what about the pockets players hang out now?

Same thing?