The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Held ball?

Worked a travel girls game last night with a more senior official. I made a call I need help with. Offensive player goes up for a shot in the lane, defenxive player puts hand on top of the ball, no foul. Offensive player comes down still with the ball and defensive player still has hand on top. I called a held ball, alternating possession.

After the game, my partner says he would have called an "up and down", which I thought was called a travel, but I digress. He asked if you could have possession with only one hand on the ball by the defender when the offensive player had two hands. I said that a dribbler had possession with only one hand, so it is possible. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me where to find this in the rule book so I can either tell him I was wrong, or let him know where to find it himself.

Thanks
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

I don't have my rule book handy, but you were correct - if a defensive player puts his/her hand on the ball and prevents an offensive player from releasing the ball for a try, it is a held ball.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Your partner would have called it incorrectly. By rule if the hand on the ball prevents the release of the shot, it is a jump ball. Good call on your part.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
There is no such call as up and down. That is a street ball term. You were correct with the jump ball.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Good call!

You're exactly right!
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnit View Post
i was just wondering if anyone could tell me where to find this in the rule book so i can either tell him i was wrong, or let him know where to find it himself.

Thanks
4-25-2
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Your partner was probably a really old guy, and he is also a nitwit.

You were correct. Keep up the good work.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 11:08am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnit View Post
Worked a travel girls game last night with a more senior official. I made a call I need help with. Offensive player goes up for a shot in the lane, defenxive player puts hand on top of the ball, no foul. Offensive player comes down still with the ball and defensive player still has hand on top. I called a held ball, alternating possession.

After the game, my partner says he would have called an "up and down", which I thought was called a travel, but I digress. He asked if you could have possession with only one hand on the ball by the defender when the offensive player had two hands. I said that a dribbler had possession with only one hand, so it is possible. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me where to find this in the rule book so I can either tell him I was wrong, or let him know where to find it himself.

Thanks

turnit:

Your partner does not know the rule. By definition your situation is a held ball (not a "jump ball"; a jump ball is a way to put the ball back into play). When a held ball occurs, the correct way to put the ball back into play is with a jump ball which means we put the ball back into play with an AP Throw-in, which I assume you did.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 03:51pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
turnit:

Your partner does not know the rule. By definition your situation is a held ball (not a "jump ball"; a jump ball is a way to put the ball back into play). When a held ball occurs, the correct way to put the ball back into play is with a jump ball which means we put the ball back into play with an AP Throw-in, which I assume you did.

MTD, Sr.
Thank you, Mark!
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
There is no such call as up and down. That is a street ball term. You were correct with the jump ball.
It's a real term... just like reaching and over the back. You guys need to get with the program!!
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 06:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter releases the ball, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor, whether, or not, the defensive player touches the ball in the block attempt.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
4-25-2
A held ball occurs when:
ART. 1 . . . Opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness.
ART. 2 . . . An opponent places his/her hand(s) on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the help. I knew I knew, I just didn't know why I knew. You know?

Again, thanks