The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Held ball? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50429-held-ball.html)

turnit Fri Dec 19, 2008 09:37am

Held ball?

Worked a travel girls game last night with a more senior official. I made a call I need help with. Offensive player goes up for a shot in the lane, defenxive player puts hand on top of the ball, no foul. Offensive player comes down still with the ball and defensive player still has hand on top. I called a held ball, alternating possession.

After the game, my partner says he would have called an "up and down", which I thought was called a travel, but I digress. He asked if you could have possession with only one hand on the ball by the defender when the offensive player had two hands. I said that a dribbler had possession with only one hand, so it is possible. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me where to find this in the rule book so I can either tell him I was wrong, or let him know where to find it himself.

Thanks

jdw3018 Fri Dec 19, 2008 09:43am

I don't have my rule book handy, but you were correct - if a defensive player puts his/her hand on the ball and prevents an offensive player from releasing the ball for a try, it is a held ball.

Texref Fri Dec 19, 2008 09:43am

Your partner would have called it incorrectly. :rolleyes: By rule if the hand on the ball prevents the release of the shot, it is a jump ball. Good call on your part.

IREFU2 Fri Dec 19, 2008 09:44am

There is no such call as up and down. That is a street ball term. You were correct with the jump ball.

derwil Fri Dec 19, 2008 09:48am

Good call! :)

You're exactly right!

Scratch85 Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnit (Post 559638)
i was just wondering if anyone could tell me where to find this in the rule book so i can either tell him i was wrong, or let him know where to find it himself.

Thanks

4-25-2

Nevadaref Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:57am

Your partner was probably a really old guy, and he is also a nitwit.:(

You were correct. Keep up the good work.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnit (Post 559638)
Worked a travel girls game last night with a more senior official. I made a call I need help with. Offensive player goes up for a shot in the lane, defenxive player puts hand on top of the ball, no foul. Offensive player comes down still with the ball and defensive player still has hand on top. I called a held ball, alternating possession.

After the game, my partner says he would have called an "up and down", which I thought was called a travel, but I digress. He asked if you could have possession with only one hand on the ball by the defender when the offensive player had two hands. I said that a dribbler had possession with only one hand, so it is possible. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me where to find this in the rule book so I can either tell him I was wrong, or let him know where to find it himself.

Thanks

turnit:

Your partner does not know the rule. By definition your situation is a held ball (not a "jump ball"; a jump ball is a way to put the ball back into play). When a held ball occurs, the correct way to put the ball back into play is with a jump ball which means we put the ball back into play with an AP Throw-in, which I assume you did.

MTD, Sr.

tjones1 Fri Dec 19, 2008 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 559684)
turnit:

Your partner does not know the rule. By definition your situation is a held ball (not a "jump ball"; a jump ball is a way to put the ball back into play). When a held ball occurs, the correct way to put the ball back into play is with a jump ball which means we put the ball back into play with an AP Throw-in, which I assume you did.

MTD, Sr.

Thank you, Mark!

refnrev Fri Dec 19, 2008 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2 (Post 559647)
There is no such call as up and down. That is a street ball term. You were correct with the jump ball.

It's a real term... just like reaching and over the back. You guys need to get with the program!!:p

BillyMac Fri Dec 19, 2008 06:34pm

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter releases the ball, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor, whether, or not, the defensive player touches the ball in the block attempt.

Back In The Saddle Sat Dec 20, 2008 01:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 559661)
4-25-2

A held ball occurs when:
ART. 1 . . . Opponents have their hands so firmly on the ball that control cannot be obtained without undue roughness.
ART. 2 . . . An opponent places his/her hand(s) on the ball and prevents an airborne player from throwing the ball or releasing it on a try.

turnit Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:03am

Thanks for all the help. I knew I knew, I just didn't know why I knew. You know?

Again, thanks