The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

'Nother backcourt violation

Saw this on last night while evaluating a crew: A1 fumbles the ball in frontcourt at the top of the three point arc after having possesion. Ball hits the floor with players diving after it. A1 recovers but B1 is very close and attempts to take control. Eventually B1 and A1 are tied up and the official toots - everyone expecting the jump ball. He comes up with backcourt as A1's toe has hit the division line while she is laying prostrate on the floor. I was like what the.....oh yea, her toe....good call.

Expect the unexpected.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 01:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Saw this on last night while evaluating a crew: A1 fumbles the ball in frontcourt at the top of the three point arc after having possesion. Ball hits the floor with players diving after it. A1 recovers but B1 is very close and attempts to take control. Eventually B1 and A1 are tied up and the official toots - everyone expecting the jump ball. He comes up with backcourt as A1's toe has hit the division line while she is laying prostrate on the floor. I was like what the.....oh yea, her toe....good call.

Expect the unexpected.
I had a similar out of bounds call the other night. Scrum near the end line, no one able to pull it in, finally B1 pulls it in, and A1 reaches over to grab it; but A1's legs are lying the floor out of bounds.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post

Expect the unexpected.
The official must determine which happened first--the held ball or A1 making contact with the ball while touching the backcourt. That is the only way to get this call correct.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Pardon the hijack, but it's quasi-relevant: idiotic coach comment #4,782 last night. Ball on the floor, white and red players go for it. White ends up sitting with the ball in front of him, with red player's hand on the ball. White player calls for time out, but I whistle for a held ball.

Coach: he wanted a time out!
Me: he didn't have possesssion, coach.
Coach: then how could it be a jump ball?