The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckley View Post
I'm a first year official who has officiated 30 games so far this season. I would like to think I'm progressing and I, of course, have a great deal of veteran officials to thank. Last night I officiated a boys' 8th grade game involving a team I coached last year. I didn't coach any of the players since they were 7th graders last year. I don't believe (and neither did my partner feel) that I showed any bias toward my former team in any of my calls but, of course, the fans of the opposing team, naturally, felt differently. I ignored their comments as well as the opposing coach who said something like "Your last six calls were for white!" Nevermind that his team was undisciplined and, frankly, terrible. In my roundabout way, I'm asking, how do you handle officiating a game involving a team you formerly coached? Like I said, I believe I called a fair game, but, in the future, should I turn down the opportunity to officiate games involving my former team? Any thoughts will be appreciated.
I definitely know how to feel in this situation but not because I coached, but because I went to the school. I've had several incidents this past year of having the opportunity to officiate my high school ala mater (which I graduated from 8 years ago). After much discussion with the assignors, AD, and other school's AD it was decided that I not officiate any Varsity contests. Although everyone trusts my judgment, integrity, and abilities it is just easier for all parties to not have to deal with the perceived bias from the parents.

I just avoid the situation now that it's out in the open. Maybe after 15 years I'll be able to accept those games However, I wouldn't accept to officiate a team you just coached last year. Just my two cents

-Josh
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

I transitioned from coaching to officiating last year. I blocked my old team last year, but this year I have not. There are obviously still players who I coached on that team, but I feel I am far enough removed from coaching them that it won't be a big issue.
As a teacher, I frequently officiate games with former students playing. Tonight, one of them, right in front of the other coach, said "Mr. Tarheel, whose ball is it?". The other coach gave me a strange look, but didn't question it.

There are bound to be conflicts of interest that come up. Once the game starts, I can't imagine it makes a difference for any official. If spectators/participants have a problem with it, it usually means they are really stretching for something to complain about - which you can take as a sign your are doing a good job!
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 10:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Conflict Of Interest, Perception Versus Reality ???

I block out my hometown high school. My kids went there, played sports there, and I used to teach science in town before I retired, and became a chemist. I still have 69 other high schools to keep me busy. No big deal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 10:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I have done games for both high Schools I attended. The first one when I was a sophomore in college at the HS I graduated. JVB & VG. First game was a buzzer beater won by the home team.

Locally, I refused to do games for my stepson's team, of course. But earlier this week I did a JV game between the HS I went to and the HS in the town where I now live. On the court 60 milies from here. Nobody could rightly accuse me of being a homer. I knew lots of people on both sides of the gym.

Next month I have the VG game between both schools here.

I would probably take other games for a season or two, though, in answer to your question.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 04:21am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I have varsity games today involving the local high school from which my son graduated a couple of years ago. The boys head coach is a guy I grew up with and is on a short list of people I have known for 40+ years. Is this an ideal situation? No. But it's nothing I can't deal with.
The game was a good one. Locals lost 86-83 and outcome was in doubt until the last few seconds. One thing I have found in the past which was true again tonight. When they all know you, the noun of address gets more specific, but the complaint get more vague. Instead of "C'mon ref, that was a foul!" you hear
"C'mon (your name here) call the game right." This, of course, translates to "C'mon, (whoever you are) call the game for us!"

I did hear one I had never heard before. Local team scored. B1 took it out of the net and stepped out, after which I hear "Time out!" I could tell who it was, but instinctively turned to look at the local coach anyway, then turned back to follow the play. After the throw-in as I passed the bleachers, I hear a helpful mom: "C'mon (my name again) We called timeout!" And you just know that afterward she backed it up: "Y'all saw that! He looked straight at him and still wouldn't give him the timeout."

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Personally? It's middle school ball, I wouldn't think twice. If your assigner knows and doesn't care....

And the comment in red would not have gone answered, either.

"Coach, don't accuse me of cheating."
Gone unanswered?

I try not to tell coaches what to do, so my version of this is: "Coach, are you aware that you are accusing me of cheating?" That usually does the trick.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach View Post
I transitioned from coaching to officiating last year. I blocked my old team last year, but this year I have not. There are obviously still players who I coached on that team, but I feel I am far enough removed from coaching them that it won't be a big issue.
As a teacher, I frequently officiate games with former students playing. Tonight, one of them, right in front of the other coach, said "Mr. Tarheel, whose ball is it?". The other coach gave me a strange look, but didn't question it.

There are bound to be conflicts of interest that come up. Once the game starts, I can't imagine it makes a difference for any official. If spectators/participants have a problem with it, it usually means they are really stretching for something to complain about - which you can take as a sign your are doing a good job!
Disagree. I know its different in areas other then my own but I'll relate my story. Last year GV game, a rivalry but not alot of talent just alot of noise.

1st half V coach is working me like there's no tomorrow. Jeez I would have bought a used car off him just to make him go away. Asking about this call and that call -the usual but very nice to me. H coach is yammering about every call-he got his call, Tweet T, and we moved on to halftime. In locker room I'm talking with partner. Clueless, he states H coach is great guy blah blah the kids. V coach hasn't said a word to him. I'm like jeez what did I do to get alll the love. Turns out partner assigns for H coachs summer leagues and V coach is aware of and plays in the league. So H coach has partner in his pocket and V coach also believes that.....I know none of us here would ever see things through "green eyes" but others can and do. Sorry its a no brainer don't do it. Your partner will thank you.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 07:05pm
Administrator

Once our oldest son entered JHS school I made sure that I did not officiate any sport involving his JHS (DeVeaux JHS) or his future HS (Start HS). And since I am know a VP of the athletics boosters organization at Start HS I doubt if I will ever officiate an event involving these two schools.

As it has already been stated, you can officiate a perfect game and it can still come back to bite you in your tuchus.

A number of years back, actually over 15 years back, the assignor of the league in which my HS was still a member, knew I was going to be in town to visit relatives and wanted me to officiate a boys' varsity game between my HS (ranked in the state's top 10 at the time) and another HS. I had the time to officiate the game but didn't because far too many people would have recognized me from my playing days when my HS won 17 league chamipionships in 21 years and I played on two of those teams (I think I broke my arm patting myself on my back, ).

On the other hand, back in the day (over 30 years ago) when I was first officiating women's college basketball and my sister was playing golf for the Univ. of Miami's women's golf team I would officiate 5 or 6 games a year where UM was the visiting team even though the assignor knew my sister attended UM. Of course it was different back then, after the game each and every player and coach of both teams would shake the officials hands and thank them for taking the time to officiate the game. And I am talking about schools like U of Miami, Florida State, U of Florida, Florida Int'l. U, U of South Florida, and the like. One time I called the last four fouls on UM's captain in a game and she didn't talk to me for a week, because we were dating, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 07:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Going To Give This Rumor Some Life, No Matter What ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
One time I called the last four fouls on UM's captain in a game and she didn't talk to me for a week, because we were dating.
Was that before, or after, you dated Mary Struckoff?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 07:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

WOW!!!!

Peace
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 08:14pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Once our oldest son entered JHS school I made sure that I did not officiate any sport involving his JHS (DeVeaux JHS) or his future HS (Start HS). And since I am know a VP of the athletics boosters organization at Start HS I doubt if I will ever officiate an event involving these two schools.

As it has already been stated, you can officiate a perfect game and it can still come back to bite you in your tuchus.

A number of years back, actually over 15 years back, the assignor of the league in which my HS was still a member, knew I was going to be in town to visit relatives and wanted me to officiate a boys' varsity game between my HS (ranked in the state's top 10 at the time) and another HS. I had the time to officiate the game but didn't because far too many people would have recognized me from my playing days when my HS won 17 league chamipionships in 21 years and I played on two of those teams (I think I broke my arm patting myself on my back, ).

On the other hand, back in the day (over 30 years ago) when I was first officiating women's college basketball and my sister was playing golf for the Univ. of Miami's women's golf team I would officiate 5 or 6 games a year where UM was the visiting team even though the assignor knew my sister attended UM. Of course it was different back then, after the game each and every player and coach of both teams would shake the officials hands and thank them for taking the time to officiate the game. And I am talking about schools like U of Miami, Florida State, U of Florida, Florida Int'l. U, U of South Florida, and the like. One time I called the last four fouls on UM's captain in a game and she didn't talk to me for a week, because we were dating, .

MTD, Sr.
You were officiating a college game in which your girlfriend was playing!?

LOL Excellent!
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 08:23pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post

LOL Excellent!

Hey, she didn't talk to me for a week. And they were the visitor's in the game too.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 08:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Not Giving Up, Someone Is Bound To Believe This If I'm Persistent Enough ...

Quote:
Hey, she didn't talk to me for a week.
She probably heard about you and Mary Struckoff.

Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 08:36pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
She probably heard about you and Mary Struckoff.
I won't believe this until MTD denies it.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 08:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post

LOL Excellent!
Times have really changed. Well sort of.

Peace