The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 09:05am

USA Team - FIBA Officiating

The USA Olympic team is back, and they addressed there shortcomings from a year ago. These guys where lighting it up. Shouting 3's like you wouldn't believe. With the addition of Kobie Bryant, none of there games where even close. It was actually somewhat of a letdown. However, a few of the International Stars took this tournament off. Next year will be the Olympics and it will be on.

The FIBA officiating at the start of the tournament I thought was great. However, i don't think these guys follow there own procedures at time very well. I also have a much better appreciation for NBA officials in that they don't miss obvious calls. Towards the end, there was some serious mugging going on, on the dribbler, and no call. Wow!

In the gold medal game, D. Howard did a classic double (illegal) dribble and went in and monster dunk the ball. It was a great play, he was open and had an uncontested layup, but he caught the ball, dribble and step with one hand, switched it to the other hand, dribble 3 more times and dunk. I was truly disappointed that there was no call. Question is, would you have made the call?

You think the NBA got problems. FIBA has got to get some consistency in their ranks or these teams don't have a chance on the road.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
The USA Olympic team is back, and they addressed there shortcomings from a year ago. These guys where lighting it up. Shouting 3's like you wouldn't believe. With the addition of Kobie Bryant, none of there games where even close. It was actually somewhat of a letdown. However, a few of the International Stars took this tournament off. Next year will be the Olympics and it will be on.

The FIBA officiating at the start of the tournament I thought was great. However, i don't think these guys follow there own procedures at time very well. I also have a much better appreciation for NBA officials in that they don't miss obvious calls. Towards the end, there was some serious mugging going on, on the dribbler, and no call. Wow!

In the gold medal game, D. Howard did a classic double (illegal) dribble and went in and monster dunk the ball. It was a great play, he was open and had an uncontested layup, but he caught the ball, dribble and step with one hand, switched it to the other hand, dribble 3 more times and dunk. I was truly disappointed that there was no call. Question is, would you have made the call?

You think the NBA got problems. FIBA has got to get some consistency in their ranks or these teams don't have a chance on the road.
Go away, fanboy.

(Nothing personal -- just the standard response to this type of post)
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 10:36am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Just imagine - if a FEEBLE ref was throwing games, he'd probably get paid off in metric francs or something like that. I bet (pun intended) the exchange rate for those really sucks.

BTW - I like the FEEBLE call of "illegal surrender". The mechanic for that is that the official lays his whistle down on the floor then puts both arms up in the air. However, I noticed they called that only in the games involving the French team. Go figure.

OK - enough French bashing for one day. My apologies to Brigitte Bardot.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Tue Sep 04, 2007 at 10:40am.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 11:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Go away, fanboy.

(Nothing personal -- just the standard response to this type of post)
I will admit, I am a fan of the game, but as an official, I have to wonder now with the allegations of point spread, if this wasn't the case for not calling the illegal dribble. As I learn how to officiate, I pride myself for getting every call I see, and I understand how any play can be missed with relation to where the official is on the court. I'm for the USA but Howard dribble with the right hand and did not do a cross-over dribble. He then put the ball in his left hand, dribble 3 more times and dunk. That's bad, no call incorrect. Thank goodness the game was determined at that point and the no-call didn't really have an effect on the outcome.

Other than that, I thought the officiating was the best I've seen in the World games. Their uniforms where solid, looked good in them. However, when the FIBA ref's miss it, they really miss it.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 11:11am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
OK - enough French bashing for one day. My apologies to Brigitte Bardot.
Courtesy of Allan Sherman:

"You came the wrong way, Old King Louie.
And now you ain't got far to go.
Too bad you won't be here to see
That great big Eiffel Tower,
Or Brigitte Bardot.

To you King Louie we say fooey.
You disappointed all of France.
But then what else could we expect
From a king in silk stockings
And pink satin pants."
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 11:23am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
OK - enough French bashing for one day.
OK, I lied.

"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes." -- Mark Twain

------------------------------

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion." -- General Norman Schwartzkopf

"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it." - -Marge Simpson

"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure." -- Jacques Chirac, President of France

--------------------------------

"As far as France is concerned, you're right." -- Rush Limbaugh

"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is sitting in Paris sipping coffee." -- Regis Philbin

"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it." -- John McCain

"The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it came marching into Paris under a German flag." -- David Letterman

"Only thing worse than a Frenchman is a Frenchman who lives in Canada." -- Ted Nugent

"War without France would be like ... World War II." -- Unknown

"The favorite bumper sticker in Washington D.C. right now is one that says 'First Iraq, then France.'" -- Tom Brokaw

"What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of its national will fighting against Disney World and Big Macs than the Nazis?" --

Dennis Miller

"It is important to remember that the French have always been there when they needed us." -- Alan Kent

-----------------------------

"They've taken their own precautions against al-Qa'ida. To prepare for an attack, each Frenchman is urged to keep duct tape, a white flag, and a three-day supply of mistresses in the house." -- Argus Hamilton

"Somebody was telling me about the French Army rifle that was being advertised on eBay the other day --the description was, 'Never shot. Dropped once.'" -- Rep. Roy Blunt, MO

"The French will only agree to go to war when we've proven we've found truffles in Iraq " -- Dennis Miller

Q. What did the mayor of Paris say to the German Army as they entered the city in WWII?

A. Table for 100,000 m'sieur?

"Do you know how many Frenchmen it takes to defend Paris? It's not known, it's never been tried." -- Rep. R. Blount, MO

"Do you know it only took Germany three days to conquer France in WWII? And that's because it was raining." -- John Xereas, Manager, DC Improv

The AP and UPI reported that the French Government announced after the London bombings that it has raised its terror alert level from Run to Hide. (The only two higher levels in France are Surrender and Collaborate.) The rise in the alert level was precipitated by a recent fire which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively disabling their military.

French Ban Fireworks at Euro Disney

(AP), Paris, March 5, 2003

The French Government announced today that it is imposing a ban on the use of fireworks at Euro Disney. The decision comes the day after a nightly fireworks display at the park, located just 30 miles outside of Paris, caused the soldiers at a nearby French Army garrison to surrender to a group of Czech tourists.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

"In the United States today, we have more than our share of nattering nabobs of negativism." -- Spiro Agnew

"I had always loved beautiful and artistic things, though before leaving America I had had a very little chance of seeing any." -- Emma Albani

"When asked by an anthropologist what the Indians called America before the white man came, an Indian said simply, "Ours." -- Father Andrew SDC

"America is the country where you buy a lifetime supply of aspirin for one dollar, and use it up in two weeks." -- John Barrymore

"One survey found that ten percent of Americans thought Joan of Arc was Noah's wife...."-- Robert Whitney Boynton

"You may be sure that the Americans will commit all the stupidities they can think of, plus some that are beyond imagination." -- General Charles De Gaulle

And the next time y'all wonder why a kid on the court misbehaves...

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." -- Edward VIII

By the way, bring on the Canada quotes... I've heard 'em all!
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

"Do you know how many Frenchmen it takes to defend Paris? It's not known, it's never been tried." -- Rep. R. Blount, MO

about 3 million - dead; another 3 million severely wounded.
1914-1918

why bother to know the facts, it only ruins a funny line.

just shows Rep. Blount is ignorant of history - European and Mid East.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 02:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canuck
"One survey found that ten percent of Americans thought Joan of Arc was Noah's wife...."-- Robert Whitney Boynton
Must be an old survey, as i'm sure this number would be much higher now.