The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Player leaves court during foul shot

High school boys varsity: During the first shot of a two-shot foul by team A, B1 and the head coach are talking way in the backcourt (relative to where we're shooting) in front of B's bench. B6 is told by the coach to sub for B1, and then B6 reports to the scorer and is waiting there. While we're administering the first free throw, B1, knowing he's being subbed for, leaves the floor and heads toward a seat on the bench. Fans go nuts ("...he left the floor!!!...") There's lots of stuff in the rules/case books about coming ONTO the floor (unbeckoned), and leaving unauthorized during a LIVE ball, but there isn't anything I could find about leaving the floor during a dead ball. (And for our purposes, let's assume I haven't bounced the ball to the thrower for his first shot...but would it be different if I had?)
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

While he's not supposed to leave the floor for an unauthroized reason, the fans are making more of this than you need to.

If it's during the first FT, let it go. If it's before teh first FT, either have him stand, or, if you think he'll be a "problem" (based on the way the coach was talking to him, previous actions in the game, etc.), bring the sub in right away.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

During the dead ball prior to the FT, there is NO RULE whatsoever which prohibits the player from leaving the floor. 9-3-3 is for leaving during a live ball.

If the player does depart during the FT, he could be penalized under 9-3-3. The ball would become dead immediately, even if the try were in flight, due to this specific violation. Therefore, the FT would be cancelled and the 2nd FT would be attempted if the situation involved a 2 shot foul or the opponent would be awarded the ball OOB at the nearest spot to the violation (near the bench in this case) if only 1 FT was being attempted.

That's the super-strict by-the-book call. It seems over-officious to me and I would likely not observe the player leaving during the FT attempt.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

That's the super-strict by-the-book call. It seems over-officious to me and I would likely not observe the player leaving during the FT attempt.
This is the gold standard.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the player does depart during the FT, he could be penalized under 9-3-3. The ball would become dead immediately, even if the try were in flight, due to this specific violation. Therefore, the FT would be cancelled
So because B1 leaves the floor, A1's FT is cancelled?
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 04:35pm
In Time Out

Is there anything wrong with players going over to their coach- say behind the ft line so not a violation during a shot? Coach on sidelines giving instructions. If it is the shooter before the fist shot and the refs are ready to go. Or after the first shot the coach gets the shooter to the side while the ref is holding the ball. Cancel the second shot, delay of game?
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 04:51pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Is there anything wrong with players going over to their coach- say behind the ft line so not a violation during a shot? Coach on sidelines giving instructions. If it is the shooter before the fist shot and the refs are ready to go. Or after the first shot the coach gets the shooter to the side while the ref is holding the ball. Cancel the second shot, delay of game?
No, there's nothing wrong with it.

No delay if it's the shooter. Technical foul on the shooter. 8.1.1 Situation B Comment
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
During the dead ball prior to the FT, there is NO RULE whatsoever which prohibits the player from leaving the floor. 9-3-3 is for leaving during a live ball.

If the player does depart during the FT, he could be penalized under 9-3-3. The ball would become dead immediately, even if the try were in flight, due to this specific violation. Therefore, the FT would be cancelled and the 2nd FT would be attempted if the situation involved a 2 shot foul or the opponent would be awarded the ball OOB at the nearest spot to the violation (near the bench in this case) if only 1 FT was being attempted.

Now wait a minute! Here you are, trying to be the Forum's By the Book rules guy, always taking the by the book approach to things. Now you are saying the rule is "super-strict" and it is "over officious" to you, and that you would purposely "not observe" this.

I see that you bend the rules to justify your interpretations. So the next time you start preaching that there is only the Book way, keep it to yourself.

Unless you are developing, eek, common sense
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Now wait a minute! Here you are, trying to be the Forum's By the Book rules guy, always taking the by the book approach to things. Now you are saying the rule is "super-strict" and it is "over officious" to you, and that you would purposely "not observe" this.

I see that you bend the rules to justify your interpretations. So the next time you start preaching that there is only the Book way, keep it to yourself.

Unless you are developing, eek, common sense
That is the reason that I put a after writing that I probably wouldn't observe the player leaving the floor during the FT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
So because B1 leaves the floor, A1's FT is cancelled?
Oops, you are correct. I misread the OP. The answer that I gave was for Team B attempting a FT. The by-the-book answer for Team A attempting is that a violation will be called on B1 if he departed during the FT and Team A will get the ball OOB at the spot of the leaving whether the FT is successful or not.

Now let me check with icallfouls and see if I would notice that one.