The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 06:33pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
You knew it would come up sometime

Had a DH today and in the 4th qtr of the first game during live action, someone in the crowd had a cell phone go off. Fortunately it was not during a FT. Had game management make an announcement prior to the second game to turn cell phones to 'vibrate'.

I know this sort of comes under the 'artificial noisemaker' rule. I emailed my interpreter regarding this issue to see if the schools' administrative body could address it with ADs. Can you imagine the Dragnet ringtone as a player is attempting a FT?

Did not want to have the phone confiscated. How would anyone else handled this situation? [And, yes, I am expecting the 'yield' sign to be played in this thread.] Thanks.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I would like to hear what others think as well. We just got cell service in our very rural area (scary, I know).

My thought on artificial noise makers was more to make a louder noise than could be made naturally to hopefully distract an opponent. I don't see them falling under the rule, just annoying and interesting that your game administration asked them to set to vibrate.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 06:56pm
We don't rent pigs

What was the sound this phone made, and did it create a distraction? I personally have never heard one during a game, and it seems that every person above age 7 has one around here.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

let it go
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 07:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I can't imagine dealing with this without direct, clear, unmistakable direction from my assigner. It's not golf.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Musta been one heck of a ringtone.....never heard one during a game over the coach screaming in my ear. Never thought of it being a problem.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 year gap View Post
had a dh today and in the 4th qtr of the first game during live action, someone in the crowd had a cell phone go off. Fortunately it was not during a ft. Had game management make an announcement prior to the second game to turn cell phones to 'vibrate'.

I know this sort of comes under the 'artificial noisemaker' rule. I emailed my interpreter regarding this issue to see if the schools' administrative body could address it with ads. Can you imagine the dragnet ringtone as a player is attempting a ft?

Did not want to have the phone confiscated. How would anyone else handled this situation? [and, yes, i am expecting the 'yield' sign to be played in this thread.] thanks.
ooo
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Wow, you're kidding right? You did not actually have them announce to put cell phones on vibrate did you? I could never imagine doing this. This is not golf. The rulebook doesn't require complete silence from the crowd.

Let it go man!
CH
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 05:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

If a player cannot handle a cell phone going off during a FT, then they need to stop playing any sport.

Not only was this not the first time it has happen it will not be the last. Let it go.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

I got nuttin' and I ain't hearin' no stinkin' cell phone.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

The OP is a joke, right? I've been in gyms that were so loud, when we shot free throws both my partner and I actually walked in front of the players on the lane and held fingers as to how many shots we had just so everyone was clear as they couldn't hear what I (the administering official) said. I'm not saying that's required as we only had seconds left in a very close game and just wanted to cross every t and dot every i. I am saying, however, it would never even cross my mind to notice a cell phone ring and I would tell any partner who wanted to make an announcement, "no, we aren't doing that."

We have a difficult enough job. Don't make it harder by making stuff up.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

You need more people to attend your games!

I've worked a lot of games and have never heard a phone over crowd noise or cheerleaders. I see spectators talking on their phones occasionally, but have never noticed one going off.

We have had to deal with cell phones at our scorer's table before and have ask workers at the table to not use phones.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 10:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is The Book Ready, And What Are You Listening To ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsRefJunior View Post
We have had to deal with cell phones at our scorer's table before and have ask workers at the table to not use phones.
True. Don't forget iPods.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

We better check people at the door to make sure they don't have a cold we don't want people coughing during the game. We should also make sure that everyone has taken their allergy meds so no one sneezes during the game either...that could really screw up a player shooting a free throw.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 01:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
We better check people at the door to make sure they don't have a cold we don't want people coughing during the game. We should also make sure that everyone has taken their allergy meds so no one sneezes during the game either...that could really screw up a player shooting a free throw.
That's it, I'm clearing the gym.