The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   You knew it would come up sometime (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50327-you-knew-would-come-up-sometime.html)

26 Year Gap Sat Dec 13, 2008 06:33pm

You knew it would come up sometime

Had a DH today and in the 4th qtr of the first game during live action, someone in the crowd had a cell phone go off. Fortunately it was not during a FT. Had game management make an announcement prior to the second game to turn cell phones to 'vibrate'.

I know this sort of comes under the 'artificial noisemaker' rule. I emailed my interpreter regarding this issue to see if the schools' administrative body could address it with ADs. Can you imagine the Dragnet ringtone as a player is attempting a FT?

Did not want to have the phone confiscated. How would anyone else handled this situation? [And, yes, I am expecting the 'yield' sign to be played in this thread.] Thanks.

shishstripes Sat Dec 13, 2008 06:42pm

I would like to hear what others think as well. We just got cell service in our very rural area (scary, I know).

My thought on artificial noise makers was more to make a louder noise than could be made naturally to hopefully distract an opponent. I don't see them falling under the rule, just annoying and interesting that your game administration asked them to set to vibrate.

just another ref Sat Dec 13, 2008 06:56pm

What was the sound this phone made, and did it create a distraction? I personally have never heard one during a game, and it seems that every person above age 7 has one around here.

icallfouls Sat Dec 13, 2008 07:09pm

let it go

Adam Sat Dec 13, 2008 07:26pm

I can't imagine dealing with this without direct, clear, unmistakable direction from my assigner. It's not golf.

derwil Sat Dec 13, 2008 08:50pm

Musta been one heck of a ringtone.....never heard one during a game over the coach screaming in my ear. Never thought of it being a problem.

eyezen Sat Dec 13, 2008 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 year gap (Post 557919)
had a dh today and in the 4th qtr of the first game during live action, someone in the crowd had a cell phone go off. Fortunately it was not during a ft. Had game management make an announcement prior to the second game to turn cell phones to 'vibrate'.

I know this sort of comes under the 'artificial noisemaker' rule. I emailed my interpreter regarding this issue to see if the schools' administrative body could address it with ads. Can you imagine the dragnet ringtone as a player is attempting a ft?

Did not want to have the phone confiscated. How would anyone else handled this situation? [and, yes, i am expecting the 'yield' sign to be played in this thread.] thanks.

ooo

CLH Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:29pm

Wow, you're kidding right? You did not actually have them announce to put cell phones on vibrate did you? I could never imagine doing this. This is not golf. The rulebook doesn't require complete silence from the crowd.

Let it go man!
CH

JRutledge Sun Dec 14, 2008 05:45pm

If a player cannot handle a cell phone going off during a FT, then they need to stop playing any sport.

Not only was this not the first time it has happen it will not be the last. Let it go.

Peace

refnrev Sun Dec 14, 2008 08:11pm

I got nuttin' and I ain't hearin' no stinkin' cell phone.:p

Texas Aggie Sun Dec 14, 2008 08:16pm

The OP is a joke, right? I've been in gyms that were so loud, when we shot free throws both my partner and I actually walked in front of the players on the lane and held fingers as to how many shots we had just so everyone was clear as they couldn't hear what I (the administering official) said. I'm not saying that's required as we only had seconds left in a very close game and just wanted to cross every t and dot every i. I am saying, however, it would never even cross my mind to notice a cell phone ring and I would tell any partner who wanted to make an announcement, "no, we aren't doing that."

We have a difficult enough job. Don't make it harder by making stuff up.

HoopsRefJunior Sun Dec 14, 2008 09:06pm

You need more people to attend your games!

I've worked a lot of games and have never heard a phone over crowd noise or cheerleaders. I see spectators talking on their phones occasionally, but have never noticed one going off.

We have had to deal with cell phones at our scorer's table before and have ask workers at the table to not use phones.

BillyMac Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:05pm

Is The Book Ready, And What Are You Listening To ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoopsRefJunior (Post 558142)
We have had to deal with cell phones at our scorer's table before and have ask workers at the table to not use phones.

True. Don't forget iPods.

GoodwillRef Mon Dec 15, 2008 01:10pm

We better check people at the door to make sure they don't have a cold we don't want people coughing during the game. We should also make sure that everyone has taken their allergy meds so no one sneezes during the game either...that could really screw up a player shooting a free throw.

Rich Mon Dec 15, 2008 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 558368)
We better check people at the door to make sure they don't have a cold we don't want people coughing during the game. We should also make sure that everyone has taken their allergy meds so no one sneezes during the game either...that could really screw up a player shooting a free throw.

That's it, I'm clearing the gym.