The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

2nd half, A1 bringing the ball up the floor in the BC.

B1 stpes in, bats at the ball, and the ball goes flying forward into the air.

A1 runs after it, catches it and dribbles down the floor.

I got nutin'.

Team B asst. coach stands and yells, "C'mon ref! What was that!?!"

I whistle, turn, WHACK!, and say, "That's a technical foul. That's what that is coach!"

I apologized to her during my next turn as tableside trail. Not for the T because she earned that but for my comment.

It's a lot of fun to talk about what we can say in these situations. But when push comes to shove, it sounds very unprofessional. I even apologize to the table crew, who heard the comment and the Team B head coach.

Gotta learn to keep my trap shut!
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I apologized to her during my next turn as tableside trail. Not for the T because she earned that but for my comment.

It's a lot of fun to talk about what we can say in these situations. But when push comes to shove, it sounds very unprofessional. I even apologize to the table crew, who heard the comment and the Team B head coach.

That's enough apologies for the rest of the season, eh? Somehow I've got a feeling the lesson has now been learned.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

I had a partner actually turn to the coach and say, "Shut up coach" the other day. I'll admit he was having a bad day personally, but I thought he was out of line. I've thought it many times, but try to be more professional than that.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 12:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I got nutin'.

I whistle, turn, WHACK!, and say, "That's a technical foul. That's what that is coach!"

We can't always be perfect. Your apology was appropriate and at least you knew you stepped across a line.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

BBallRef,
Those kinds of mistakes also serve to remind us that we are all mere mortals. I admire those who admit their mistakes. Lord knows I've made my fair share.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Well, once I post it here, I feel like I'm absolved! Kinda like an officiating confessional. "Forgive me Dr. Naismith, for I have sinned!"
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, once I post it here, I feel like I'm absolved! Kinda like an officiating confessional. "Forgive me Dr. Naismith, for I have sinned!"
You are forgiven, my son.

Now, as a pennance, you must officiate 3 men's rec league games, and 2 girls' JV games where the players shout "ball ball ball ball" for the entire 32 minutes of the game.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Not enough. You must also do several girls 5th/6th grade games on a tile floor wherein all of the girls will be wearing metal hair clips and bracelets and when you ask them to remove them they will get tears in their eyes because you are such a mean ref. Their mommies, who all have voices like a crow, will yell at you all night for picking on their babies. Also, you must send a tax deductible donation to the Refnrev Evangelistic Association where funds are currently deperately low. Then consider yourself fully absolved! Keep those cards and letters comin'!

[Edited by refnrev on Jan 29th, 2005 at 10:59 AM]
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 11:38am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
First mistake of the year, right BktBallRef!
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 12:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
You are forgiven, my son.

Now, as a pennance, you must officiate 3 men's rec league games, and 2 girls' JV games where the players shout "ball ball ball ball" for the entire 32 minutes of the game.
Not enough. You must now umpire girls' softball at a level of freshman or below. The players will sing and do cheers the ENTIRE game, which will have a score of 30-29 and last 4 hours.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I got nutin'.

Tony,

Was the T for what was said (not that bad) or because it came from an assistant coach? If it was because it came from an assistant, couldn't you have just told the head coach that you didn't want to hear any more complaining from his/her assistant coaches before the whack? Or had the assistant been up prior?

Z
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Tony, I feel your pain. Last Monday I told a rec ball player to shut up if he wanted to stay in the game. As my pennance I am doing a night of 5th/6th grade boys games.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

curious

Since you took the time and were professional enough to apologize to the coaches and table crew, I was just wondering if the coach that was doing the hollering happened to use that time to apologize also?