The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 03:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
No idea why, she just caught it and shot it.
She hopped to set her feet [like girls do].
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 10:27pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
She hopped to set her feet [like girls do].
Hey! Don't you start!
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down T or not to T

Quote:
JV girls. T was on the varsity coach, a guy with over 600 career wins and a couple state championships. Early second quarter, I'm trail as visitor breaks press and goes toward hoop. Drive is from my side so I'm staying with it. Player has ball knocked out of her hands then regains it under hoop. JV Head Coach and the varsity coach (an assistant coach in this game) both want a travel--I'm in front of the bench so they are making their comments to me. I say "she lost it; can't travel without the ball coach" and the varsity coach answers "yes you can." I know he knows better and then he says "Where are you supposed to be on that one? Get off the court if you can't keep up" and I gave him the T.

After the free throws I went back over to tell the JV coach he had to sit and that was the end of it.

Late in the game the varsity coach asked me something during a timeout so I think he got over being mad at me. Final was visitors by 2 in OT on a last-second shot.

Thoughts? Quick trigger? This is a coach I respect as much as anyone in the local basketball community. I coached against him several times and while we were always overmatched he was encouraging and positive about my team and how we had been improving. Probably the last guy I'd want to stick if I had a choice, but I felt like the comment crossed the line, especially when I knew he was just trying to get in my head with the travel thing.
So you gave a T to the Varsity coach during a JV game, then answered his questions during a time out? Varsity coach is bench personnel. Address JV coaches questions only, and advise him on his bench assistants before whacking them.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 11:36pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2u4now View Post
So you gave a T to the Varsity coach during a JV game, then answered his questions during a time out? Varsity coach is bench personnel. Address JV coaches questions only, and advise him on his bench assistants before whacking them.
Good grief. hy is everyone so bent on not letting assistant coaches ask a question. If it's polite, answer them...if they're pissing and whining, then take care of business. I just do not understand why some in our profession are so quick to slam the door on assistant coaches when all they are doing is asking a question. Anyone ever hear the old "You can catch more flies with honey" bit?
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 10:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Good grief. hy is everyone so bent on not letting assistant coaches ask a question. If it's polite, answer them...if they're pissing and whining, then take care of business. I just do not understand why some in our profession are so quick to slam the door on assistant coaches when all they are doing is asking a question. Anyone ever hear the old "You can catch more flies with honey" bit?
Not only that, but it's never a good idea to make unnecessarily bad impressions on varsity coaches.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2u4now View Post
So I should've ignored his quiet and respectful "This is a 30?" and "We're getting it right here, right?" while I marked the spot of the throw-in about ten feet away from him?
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 10:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So I should've ignored his quiet and respectful "This is a 30?" and "We're getting it right here, right?" while I marked the spot of the throw-in about ten feet away from him?
Don't ignore. Whack-a-mole time, baby! [sarcasm mark for Lord Byron>

Last edited by Adam; Mon Dec 15, 2008 at 11:59am.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 11:54am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
No...a resonable question ALWAYS receives a reasonable response. I don't give a rat's *** whether it's the head coach, the assistant coach, the trainer - if they are polite and ask a question during a dead ball time, answer it. There's no excuse for being an a$$ just because the other person isn't the head coach.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
No...a resonable question ALWAYS receives a reasonable response. I don't give a rat's *** whether it's the head coach, the assistant coach, the trainer - if they are polite and ask a question during a dead ball time, answer it. There's no excuse for being an a$$ just because the other person isn't the head coach.
Yep -- unless and until the questions become too numerous.

Same with players -- I will talk to any player who is polite, whether s/he is the captain. And, if s/he is not polite, then it doesn't matter that s/he is the captain.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 01:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yep -- unless and until the questions become too numerous.

Same with players -- I will talk to any player who is polite, whether s/he is the captain. And, if s/he is not polite, then it doesn't matter that s/he is the captain.
I circle the captains names in the book and ask them if we are ready to start the game (when lined up for the jump -- at least that used to be in the mechanics manual - no idea if it still is and I'm not looking now) and then promptly forget who the captains are after that. What Bob said.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I am going to agree with Rockyroad on this. The explanation given in the original post was fine. He was just trying to communicate and give a coach a better understanding of what took place. The coach didn't like the statement and stepped over the line. He was penalized accordingly. Fine.

Asst coaches sometimes say things that cause problems during the course of a game. They also have an interest in the outcome and can react (appropriately) to plays.

I have used asst coaches to help in some situations. In my area there is a coach in particular that for some reason he and I have a hard time working with each other. If he and I are having trouble communicating, I will say a couple of words to the asst to be relayed and that helps in most situations. An asst coach can be an asset if used properly, so why not take advantage of them.