The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 12:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
It's good that you found it ironic, since that was pretty much the point.
Is this a good time for a binary joke?
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 12:19pm
Esteemed Participant

Sometimes NOT responding to comments like the ones in the OP will cause things to get worse, not better. On a play like that, I think PA Coach was right in responding with what he saw and why it wasn't a travel. Without being there, I think the Varsity coach was seeing what exactly PA Coach was made of - he pushed the limits on purpose to see what kind of official he was dealing with. He got his answer. Now when PA Coach does this guy's Varsity games later in the season, he will know what to expect. A coach who has won over 600 HS games knows exactly what he's doing in situations like that one.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 12:37pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Holy cow JR, I thought I was the only one who ever did that?!? I combine two contractions all the time (in informal writing, ie email). I've dubbed them double contractions It drives my lady and family nuts because it's difficult to read. You just made my morning!
-Josh
Any chance to use the double-contraction . . . and I'm there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
my daughter sends me emails that look like this. no capital letters. i guess that the shift key on her keyboard must be broken. my son's college roommate sends me similar emails. must be the same brand of keyboard.
worse are the posts with no capital letters or punctuation i'm an admin ona couple boards n ppl talk like dis all the time i rewrite in english 4 dem
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 12:41pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Sometimes NOT responding to comments like the ones in the OP will cause things to get worse, not better. On a play like that, I think PA Coach was right in responding with what he saw and why it wasn't a travel. Without being there, I think the Varsity coach was seeing what exactly PA Coach was made of - he pushed the limits on purpose to see what kind of official he was dealing with. He got his answer. Now when PA Coach does this guy's Varsity games later in the season, he will know what to expect. A coach who has won over 600 HS games knows exactly what he's doing in situations like that one.
I agree with everything here, except for the idea that officials should be responding to anything an ASSt. coach says. I'm going to ignore it until such a coach is becoming a nuisance, when I'm going to ask the head coach whether he or she has a question, and then ask him or her to get the bench personnel under control.

Last edited by mbyron; Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 01:18pm.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 02:12pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I agree with everything here, except for the idea that officials should be responding to anything an ASSt. coach says. I'm going to ignore it until such a coach is becoming a nuisance, when I'm going to ask the head coach whether he or she has a question, and then ask him or her to get the bench personnel under control.
And that would prove my original point - sometimes ignoring things MAKES them become a nuisance. Sometimes a simple response can defuse the assistant coaches and stop them from becoming a nuisance. Not always, in which case the head coach needs to take care of them, but sometimes it actually works - just look at it this way: how would you like it if you said something to someone at work and they just glared at you and ignored you. Would that make you think "Oh my, I'm only an assistant here and I should probably be quiet now" or would it make you think "Geesh. This guy is an a$$." and then you just step it up a little??
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And that would prove my original point - sometimes ignoring things MAKES them become a nuisance.
That's true, but it's not my problem. And, glaring at people and otherwise being an a$$ doesn't count as ignoring them.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's true, but it's not my problem. And, glaring at people and otherwise being an a$$ doesn't count as ignoring them.
That's what my wife tells me.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Just another day at the office. I'd casually whack him with the same emotion as a travelling call. If you didn't whack him, he wouldn't respect you. I think you were being tested and you aced it.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 03:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's A Dirty Joke, Most Of The Words Would Be ***'ed Out Anyway ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
1011001, 1011101, and 1011011, walk into a bar with a pet 1001001. The bartender says, "I don't think I'm allowed to serve 1001001?" 1011001 replies ... Nevermind. You all probably heard this 1 already.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 03:31pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
That's true, but it's not my problem.
I seriously hope that you are not serious here...if by ignoring something you allow it to become an issue, then it most certainly is your problem. A quick, quiet answer can often defuse a situation and make your life much easier.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

In 95% of cases I am opposed to responding to comments, however, there are those cases where a quick well phrased reference to a rule or exactly what you saw can defuse a situation. A quick signal of a juggled ball so as to tell the coach you saw it but there was no possession - just the same as the signal for not closely guarded, can let a coach know you are on top of it and get them of you back. I think the comment of "coach she lost it " is fine, I do not think that " you can not travel without the ball" was needed, too open ended.

The Whack was perfect and hopefully given with the same emphasis as a travel. Like others have said the coach was testing you. You passed. I doubt you will have an incident with him again. Unless he wants it or something goes heywire.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I seriously hope that you are not serious here...if by ignoring something you allow it to become an issue, then it most certainly is your problem. A quick, quiet answer can often defuse a situation and make your life much easier.
I have no problem a quick, quiet answer. I (still) agree that doing so CAN be good game management, and is consistent with the tactic of ignoring statements and answering questions.

But the OP did that, and the ASSt. coach STILL became a problem. Thus it does not ALWAYS solve the problem. And, as I said, at that point the problem is the head coach's, because I'm not going to argue with the ASSt. coach.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks all. I agree that I should've just went with "she lost it" rather than the extra words. One of the problems I'm going to have is that I know a lot of these people, having coached in this league for 11 years. So I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a little more explanation when I can. The guy I T'd was kind to me when I was coaching, so I'm didn't have my shields up when he fired his missile. I'll learn from this one however.

We have a mentor program in our chapter so I sent this scenario to mine and he said he thinks the coach was just testing me, and I won't have any more problems with him since I passed his test.

I did have a little emotion in calling the T, not quite like calling any normal violation or foul. I'll have to get better at that.

Not much else to report in this game. I started the 4th quarter putting the ball on the floor when the visitors didn't break their huddle after two horns and two whistles from me. They didn't make it in time and violated the five-second provision of the rule.

With the score tied and 10 seconds left in the 4th, home got a defensive rebound, and the rebounder trying to clear space to make an outlet pass shoved into the defender. I called the offensive foul (easy call, no complaints) and visitors got the last shot chance. They missed too soon, and home got off a halfcourt shot that was in and out.

Then with 3.4 left in OT, I administer visitors inbound backcourt sideline about FT line extended. Long pass is picked off, poked away right to a visitor player who hit a six-footer that was out of hand with about 0.5 left. I call it good (again easy call) and we hustle off the court with the home coach calling for a travel. No idea why, she just caught it and shot it.

Fun game. Today 8th grade girls shortly then HS JV girls again tonight, but this one probably won't be close.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 03:14pm
Huck Finn

Oh man, sometimes things can get complicated. I think Rocky is right, but I also believe we should only answer questions. Those two don't go together, but that is where experience - which Rocky has - will help. Getting in the habit of responding to everything you hear will get you in trouble. However, we can't ignore coaches either. A coach who is ignored can get worse in a hurry. Giving a T is certainly not ignoring the situation.

On a similar/side note, because of some situations at work, I looked up the definition of "Approachable." To sum things up, people and/or coaches who are quick to say someone isn't approachable are more than likely wrong, but also somewhat of a coward for not accepting possible responsibility for the problem with communication. Does that fact change people from using this? No, but now I know what I'm dealing with. Again, this happened because of a situation I had with 500+ young men and women at work.