The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
So how about those little skinny rubberband like things that go around the entire head. I have been considering those hair control devices, its starting to seem like my considerations have been wrong.
I'd say by definition if it goes around the whole head it's a headband and falls under 3-5-3.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

I cannot believe the number of questions on this and other sites regarding this rule. Who knew it could be so confusing.

If it's used to hold the hair together in a pony-tail (or pig-tail, or braid) like shape, it's a "hair control device." These are usually something like those 2" cloth-covered rubber bands. No color restrictions on these.

If it holds the hair down to the head (goes around the crown of the head) then it's a "Headband". It might also be a sweatband, pre-wrap, the 8" diameter "nike" bands, a larger rubber band, etc. All of the players on a team who are wearing any such device must be wearing the same color.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I cannot believe the number of questions on this and other sites regarding this rule. Who knew it could be so confusing.

If it's used to hold the hair together in a pony-tail (or pig-tail, or braid) like shape, it's a "hair control device." These are usually something like those 2" cloth-covered rubber bands. No color restrictions on these.

If it holds the hair down to the head (goes around the crown of the head) then it's a "Headband". It might also be a sweatband, pre-wrap, the 8" diameter "nike" bands, a larger rubber band, etc. All of the players on a team who are wearing any such device must be wearing the same color.
I believe the correct terminology is a scrunchie!!!!!!! Thats what hold the pony tail!!!!!
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 09:01am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Who knew it could be so confusing.
Certainly not the coaches who all look at me with the "dear in the headlihghts look" as if they didn't know.

Concur, this is easy to explain (and I am making a photo copy of you post to give to the coaches).
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 09:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Flash Your Badge ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Sometimes they think you're kidding
Were you carrying this?

http://ac4.yt-thm-a01.yimg.com/image/1fab751b544177b0

Or this?

http://ac4.yt-thm-a04.yimg.com/image/97ddc0224371719a

Also, these don't count as images, they're URL's. I'm still, technically, image free, for about three months.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
So how about those little skinny rubberband like things that go around the entire head. I have been considering those hair control devices, its starting to seem like my considerations have been wrong.
If they go around the head, then they are restricted by rule, regardless of their function (hair control, sweat collection, attracting a mate, etc.).
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 02:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Not That There's Anything Wrong With That" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Attracting a mate.
Be careful here. We have a few Forum members from the "Land Down Under" who may find this a little confusing, or not.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 03:51pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Headband versus Hair Control Device

A headband is anything that goes entirely around the head. A sweatband, prewrap, rubberband, those elastic things. They must be either white, black, tan or the dominant color of the jersey. They also can have only one logo on them. Most that I have seen have Nike or the UA logo on them several times and must be turned inside out or taken off if they want to play. Remember, they don't have to take them off, but they can't wear them while they are playing. The choice is theirs. A hair control device are scrunchies, the elastic bands that only wrap hair into a pony tail or such and there are no restrictions on color or logos other than safety issues.