The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

FT lane provisions

NFHS.

A1 shooting last FT. A2 and A3 are properly lined up on the lane with B1,2,3 and 4 also lined up.
A1's shot is released and A2 and/or A3 takes a small step backwards (within the 36" limit). Upon the visual of the step back, B2 steps into the lane before the FT has hit iron.

In youseguyses opinion, has A2 caused B1's violation even though A2 stayed in her "space"?
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:28am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
In youseguyses opinion, has A2 caused B1's violation even though A2 stayed in her "space"?
Not unless you think A2 did it on purpose (maybe flinching) to get B1 to violate.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:30am
Ch1town

Quote:
It seems as though you answered your own question coach.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
It seems as though you answered your own question coach.
That's what I was hoping!
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

It is ridiculous to infer that a player stepping backward within their allowed space would cause another player to step forward into the key and violate.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
It is ridiculous to infer that a player stepping backward within their allowed space would cause another player to step forward into the key and violate.
I coach girls and root for the Detroit Lions....nothing surprises me.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 01:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Did this get called on your girls?
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Did this get called on your girls?
No, we are undertall this year and we're working on ways to get a better shot at offensive rebounds because of all the new "room" down low. Step back and swing behind and around B1 and B2 once in a while.

Just wanna make sure an A2 quick step back isn't justification for B1 jumping the gun.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 01:46pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
I coach girls and root for the Detroit Lions....nothing surprises me.
Seek help ASAP!!!
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, we are undertall this year and we're working on ways to get a better shot at offensive rebounds because of all the new "room" down low. Step back and swing behind and around B1 and B2 once in a while.

Just wanna make sure an A2 quick step back isn't justification for B1 jumping the gun.
You never know what someone will consider to be disconcertion, but I can see if the girl fakes going forward and then goes backward, and the fake forward cause the opponent to step in - that might be something you could consider disconcertion. But to simply step back - I just can't visualize how anyone could consider that a cause for the opponent stepping in.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 01:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

...Or start a 1/2 step behind the low blocker and make them guess which way yer goin'? They may be watching you and not the ball or rim.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

There is nothing deceptive about stepping backwards. The player has not violated by leaving her marked lane space, nor has she faked to cause her opponent to violate.

Perfectly legal play.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
You never know what someone will consider to be disconcertion, but I can see if the girl fakes going forward and then goes backward, and the fake forward cause the opponent to step in - that might be something you could consider disconcertion. But to simply step back - I just can't visualize how anyone could consider that a cause for the opponent stepping in.
Not to pick nits or anything, well, okay, entirely to pick nits...

Disconcertion is only one issue. Faking is another issue altogether. Only the defense can disconcert and only the free thrower can be disconcerted. The free thrower and any player along the lane can fake.

NFHS 9-1-3
b. The free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane space fake to cause an opponent to violate.
c. No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower.

I don't see any issue with CoachP's strategy as far as the player violating by leaving her lane space, by faking, or by disconcerting.