The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   FT lane provisions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50243-ft-lane-provisions.html)

CoachP Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:26am

FT lane provisions

NFHS.

A1 shooting last FT. A2 and A3 are properly lined up on the lane with B1,2,3 and 4 also lined up.
A1's shot is released and A2 and/or A3 takes a small step backwards (within the 36" limit). Upon the visual of the step back, B2 steps into the lane before the FT has hit iron.

In youseguyses opinion, has A2 caused B1's violation even though A2 stayed in her "space"?

Scrapper1 Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 556655)
In youseguyses opinion, has A2 caused B1's violation even though A2 stayed in her "space"?

Not unless you think A2 did it on purpose (maybe flinching) to get B1 to violate.

Ch1town Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 556655)

It seems as though you answered your own question coach.

CoachP Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 556658)
It seems as though you answered your own question coach.

That's what I was hoping!

Smitty Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:37pm

It is ridiculous to infer that a player stepping backward within their allowed space would cause another player to step forward into the key and violate.

CoachP Tue Dec 09, 2008 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 556681)
It is ridiculous to infer that a player stepping backward within their allowed space would cause another player to step forward into the key and violate.

I coach girls and root for the Detroit Lions....nothing surprises me.

Adam Tue Dec 09, 2008 01:21pm

Did this get called on your girls?

CoachP Tue Dec 09, 2008 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 556706)
Did this get called on your girls?

No, we are undertall this year and we're working on ways to get a better shot at offensive rebounds because of all the new "room" down low. Step back and swing behind and around B1 and B2 once in a while.

Just wanna make sure an A2 quick step back isn't justification for B1 jumping the gun.

tjones1 Tue Dec 09, 2008 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 556694)
I coach girls and root for the Detroit Lions....nothing surprises me.

Seek help ASAP!!! ;)

Smitty Tue Dec 09, 2008 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 556713)
No, we are undertall this year and we're working on ways to get a better shot at offensive rebounds because of all the new "room" down low. Step back and swing behind and around B1 and B2 once in a while.

Just wanna make sure an A2 quick step back isn't justification for B1 jumping the gun.

You never know what someone will consider to be disconcertion, but I can see if the girl fakes going forward and then goes backward, and the fake forward cause the opponent to step in - that might be something you could consider disconcertion. But to simply step back - I just can't visualize how anyone could consider that a cause for the opponent stepping in.

mick Tue Dec 09, 2008 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 556713)

...Or start a 1/2 step behind the low blocker and make them guess which way yer goin'? They may be watching you and not the ball or rim. ;)

Nevadaref Tue Dec 09, 2008 08:23pm

There is nothing deceptive about stepping backwards. The player has not violated by leaving her marked lane space, nor has she faked to cause her opponent to violate.

Perfectly legal play.

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 556725)
You never know what someone will consider to be disconcertion, but I can see if the girl fakes going forward and then goes backward, and the fake forward cause the opponent to step in - that might be something you could consider disconcertion. But to simply step back - I just can't visualize how anyone could consider that a cause for the opponent stepping in.

Not to pick nits or anything, well, okay, entirely to pick nits... ;)

Disconcertion is only one issue. Faking is another issue altogether. Only the defense can disconcert and only the free thrower can be disconcerted. The free thrower and any player along the lane can fake.

NFHS 9-1-3
b. The free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane space fake to cause an opponent to violate.
c. No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower.

I don't see any issue with CoachP's strategy as far as the player violating by leaving her lane space, by faking, or by disconcerting.