The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

There seems to be an inconsistency between the rule book and the case book that is bothering me. The situation is when B1 fouls A1 and A1 will shoot Free Throws. The ref reports the foul and is ready to administer the FTs and B does not occupy the lower spaces in the lane.

8-1-4 explains that the way players from both teams may line up along the lane. 9-1-2 explains the violation and penalty should the defense not occupy the lower lane spaces (a simple FT violation).

8-1-2 explains the resumption of play procedure, indicating that after a time out the FT should be administered and after the violation, a T may be called. However, the case above does not involve the “resumption of play” procedure.

The case book is silent for cases related to these rules when B fails to line anyone along the lane. The only reference in the case book for this situation comes from 10.1.5.C which says to direct B to occupy those lane spaces and if they delay to issue a T to the team for delay (referencing 4-47).

From reading the rules only, you would not know you could issue a T for not occupying the lowers spaces – only a violation (unless resumption of play was involved and that only after a violation had been called). 4-47 does not reference a delay for occupying the lower spaces during only a delay for huddling during a FT. It bugs me that 10.1.5.C is explicit for a situation that the rules do not seem to support. Am I missing something? Comments anyone?