The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Cool Throw in provision

No room on the side line so you move the defender (B1) back to give the thrower (A1) some space. After the throw in begins A1 attempts to complete the throw just inside the boundry line to A3. B1 moves back in to his original position to defend. Is this legal.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
No room on the side line so you move the defender (B1) back to give the thrower (A1) some space. After the throw in begins A1 attempts to complete the throw just inside the boundry line to A3. B1 moves back in to his original position to defend. Is this legal.
The restraining line you imposed would be 3 feet inside the boundary line and it becomes the boundary line DURING A THROW-IN ON THAT END OR SIDE OF THE COURT. Thus, B1 should not be allowed to come any closer than 3 feet to the permanent boundary line. And A1 can be anywhere behind the imposed restraining line as long as they stay on or over the designated spot, if it indeed was a designated spot throw-in.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

7.6.4 situ d The b part.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 08:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Looks to me like A3 moved outside the restraining line; this is illegal and a throwin violation on A. By the time B1 moved out there, it was likely a dead ball already.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

There used to be a case where A moved into the restraining area in that case B is allowed to follow. Maybe thats the case you referenced. Seems to be (or was) legal
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
7.6.4 situ d The b part.

Right. So you knew the answer to your question before you posted it? I don't get it.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 12:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For Coaches, And Fanboys, Without Casebooks ...

Quote:
7.6.4 situ d The b part.
7.6.4 SITUATION D: The sideline is very near the spectators leaving little space out of bounds for A1 to make a throw-in. As a result, the administering official has directed B1 to move back a step to give the thrower some room: (a) as soon as the ball is handed or bounced to A1, B1 moves right back to the boundary line in front of A1; or (b) A1 attempts to complete the throw-in just inside the boundary line and B1 moves to his/her original position in order to defend. RULING: In (a), it is a violation by B1 and will also result in a warning for Team B which is reported to the scorer and to the head coach. Any subsequent delay-of-game situation or noncompliance with the verbal order will result in a technical foul charged to Team B. In (b), B1 is expected to stay back one step unless the throwin is attempted between this area and the boundary line. No violation in this case as B1 is allowed to defend the area if the throw-in is attempted there. (10-1-5c)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 12:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My bad, I forgot there's a difference between a marked restraining line and an "imaginary" restraining line. A marked restraining line becomes the boundary line, and A3 would violate by stepping between the restraining line and the OOB line.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Right. So you knew the answer to your question before you posted it? I don't get it.
The case play seamed to conflict with the rule 1 2 2 under court and equipt. I was looking for feed back to see if anyone had noticed it also. Is this a provision for if their is no actual line. if so where is that refference. Didn't mean to sound like I was setting a trap.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My bad, I forgot there's a difference between a marked restraining line and an "imaginary" restraining line. A marked restraining line becomes the boundary line, and A3 would violate by stepping between the restraining line and the OOB line.
So if this is true can the thrower step into this area while making his throw in?
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 01:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Imaginary Playing Court ???

Quote:
So if this is true can the thrower step into this area while making his throw in?
I would think, yes, assuming that he's not stepping onto the playing court on the other side of the imaginary restraining line. I would also think that he could step on the imaginary restraining line.

Wasn't this covered in a recent episode of "South Park"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 02:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Yes, the whole point is to give the thrower three feet of "breathing room."
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 02:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is It Under Rule 1-Court And Equipment ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The whole point is to give the thrower three feet of "breathing room."
I can't find breathing room in Rule 4-Definitions. Citation please.

Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 04:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I can't find breathing room in Rule 4-Definitions. Citation please.
1-2-2. "Breathing room" is my phrase, the concept is the rule.