The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,955
Personal Foul??

Testing for promotion this weekend. Study guides I am using have these questions with conflicting answers:

" A personal foul cannot occur during a dead ball." It says T
" A personal foul can only occur during a live ball." It says F

I say the first one is wrong and should be False because of the airborne shooter exception when the ball is dead. (4-19-1)

Everyone agree or disagree with me?
__________________
That's my whistle -- and I'm sticking to it!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 153
First one should be wrong... per your argument of the definition in 4-19-1
__________________
Call what you see; See what you call.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 04:21am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Italy
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Testing for promotion this weekend. Study guides I am using have these questions with conflicting answers:

" A personal foul cannot occur during a dead ball." It says T
" A personal foul can only occur during a live ball." It says F

I say the first one is wrong and should be False because of the airborne shooter exception when the ball is dead. (4-19-1)

Everyone agree or disagree with me?
For professional reasons I should be an expert in things like these.

Let's try and translate those sentences into logically equivalent ones:

(1) If the ball is dead then a foul is not personal
(2) If a foul is personal then the ball is alive

Let's write A for "a foul is personal" and B for "the ball is alive". Then
(1) becomes "If (not B) then (not A)", while (2) becomes "if A then B".

Now it's well known that "If P then Q" is logically equivalent to
"(not P) or Q". Then (1) is logically equivalent to "(not not B) or (not A)"
while (2) is equivalent to "(not A) or B". It's now sufficient to remember
that "(not not B)" is equivalent to "B".

I've shown that the two sentences say exactly the same thing and
it cannot happen that one is false and the other is true.

Another proof that math is useful.

Ciao
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 08:49am
Lighten up, Francis.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgncjn View Post
First one should be wrong... per your argument of the definition in 4-19-1
I agree.

Good luck with promotion!!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 08:54am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Testing for promotion this weekend. Study guides I am using have these questions with conflicting answers:

" A personal foul cannot occur during a dead ball." It says T
" A personal foul can only occur during a live ball." It says F

I say the first one is wrong and should be False because of the airborne shooter exception when the ball is dead. (4-19-1)

Everyone agree or disagree with me?

I'm also going for promotion and with work and ref schedule, little time for study. What study guides are you using?

Last edited by fullor30; Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 12:25pm.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 09:59am
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,030
Good luck, Bob. I'm sure you'll do fine.

PS: My letter must of worked... unlike some people on this forum (uhh, M&M - shhhh) I only sent one letter instead of two. Something tells me the second letter would not have worked.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Good luck, Bob. I'm sure you'll do fine.

PS: My letter must of worked... unlike some people on this forum (uhh, M&M - shhhh) I only sent one letter instead of two. Something tells me the second letter would not have worked.
'Ya think? It was actually a test to see if you were paying attention. You apparently passed.

Good luck as well, Bob.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I'm also going for promotion and with work and ref schedule, little time for study. What study giudes are you using?
____________
Last year's Part 2 and this year's Part 1
__________________
That's my whistle -- and I'm sticking to it!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Good luck, Bob. I'm sure you'll do fine.

PS: My letter must of worked... unlike some people on this forum (uhh, M&M - shhhh) I only sent one letter instead of two. Something tells me the second letter would not have worked.
___________________

I was real pleased with the way that you begged them to let me apply for promotion. One of the other letters even offered a small bribe!
__________________
That's my whistle -- and I'm sticking to it!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 05:04pm
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
___________________

I was real pleased with the way that you begged them to let me apply for promotion. One of the other letters even offered a small bribe!

Wellllll, the things I do for fellow officials.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
THIS is a personal foul. Dan_ref Basketball 15 Thu Feb 21, 2008 02:04pm
Personal Foul, then Technical Foul jdw3018 Basketball 7 Sat Dec 02, 2006 05:35am
Personal Foul fonzzy07 Football 3 Fri Sep 08, 2006 07:59am
Personal foul? glt1958 Football 11 Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:21pm
Simultaneous Personal Foul shawnwil Basketball 15 Tue Nov 12, 2002 06:23pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1