The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I was not talking about legal guarding position here. To achieve and maintain legal guarding position, the player basically may not extend any body part into the path of the opponent.

The point was that each player is entitled to his own spot on the floor. If a player chooses to sit down on the floor and do stretching exercises, then an opponent comes along and trips over him 10 seconds later, I would be hard pressed to call this a blocking foul.
you're correct - every player is entitled to their own spot on the floor. if you deem that the player that is sitting down on the floor doing stretching exercises has LGP, then there can be no blocking foul. HOWEVER, if you think a player sitting on the floor has established LGP, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn or some swamp land in Florida to sell you......
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
you're correct - every player is entitled to their own spot on the floor. if you deem that the player that is sitting down on the floor doing stretching exercises has LGP, then there can be no blocking foul. HOWEVER, if you think a player sitting on the floor has established LGP, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn or some swamp land in Florida to sell you......
"a spot on the floor" and "lgp" are not necessarily the same concept.

Having LGP gives the defender additional rights (the right to move...). A stationary player need not have LGP to have a legal postiion and, thus, not be guilty of a blocking foul.