The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Blarge alert!!!

Gonzaga v Tennessee
4:48 on the clock in the first half. Gonzaga guard driving down the outside of the FT lane.

Jim Burr (L) signals a block, the C (I don't know who he is) signals a PC.

The play was in the C's primary, but I believe that Burr made the correct decision.

A double personal foul was called and Gonzaga kept the ball on the POI.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thank goodness for ESPN360.com

Looked like a block to me. Looked like C was too high (at the 3 point arc) and may have not had a good angle.

Announcers said that Gonzaga kept the ball on AP???? Is this different in NCAA vs. HS or did the announcers kick it? Shoulda been POI.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

I watched the game and saw the play too... So riddle me this, how did we get to a double foul? Is this the resolution when there is a double whistle and the officials can't agree? If so, I suppose I can live with that, but if there is another reason, you'll have to sell me...

Z
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
I watched the game and saw the play too... So riddle me this, how did we get to a double foul? Is this the resolution when there is a double whistle and the officials can't agree? If so, I suppose I can live with that, but if there is another reason, you'll have to sell me...

Z
The reason is quite simple.

The NCAA RULE is the same as the NFHS RULE. If two officials signal conflicting fouls on a play, then the resolution is a double foul.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Video

I was watching the game and through the magic of DVR grab the play. Here it is, the slow motion starts about 29 seconds into the video. Since I am very new to this I won't offer an opinion, but I would love to follow the discussion on why this is a block or charge.

Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 10:38pm
We don't rent pigs

Block. Doesn't look that close to me.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 10:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

It looks like a PC Foul to me, but that being said guys from the East Coast like to just signal fouls without much or any of a stop clock signal. The ball did come from the Center's side. The CCA told officials to let the Lead take all fouls to the basket if there was a dispute. It is clear Jim Burr did not follow the manual on this directive with a stop clock signal. Oh well, that is why he is working on National Television and I am not.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 10:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Block. Doesn't look that close to me.
Me either. Definitely a block.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent job, wrwom. Thanks for posting the video. Perhaps you would be kind enough to detail the steps you undertook in order to do so. That would be a great help to some of us less savvy computer users.

As for the play, it is my opinion that the defender did not obtain his spot on the floor prior to his opponent going airborne. Instead he slid in front of and under him after the dribbler picked up the ball and both of his feet left the floor.

The defender did establish LGP and is allowed to move laterally to continue to maintain that guarding position, but he can't do so AFTER the opponent becomes airborne. At that time, he must hold the spot that he has obtained. He may, of course, turn or duck to absorb or lessen the contact.

Furthermore, IMO this play was the C's to get right or wrong as it was well within his primary. The L should not have given a preliminary signal as the play was outside of his primary and his partner had a whistle. This is what happens when the officials do not adhere to proper mechanics.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Though this is in the C's PCA -

blow and hold, blow and hold, blow and hold especially knowing who your partner is (Burr) and knowing he's probably going to come out strong with a call on a play like this
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 11:06pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The reason is quite simple.

The NCAA RULE is the same as the NFHS RULE. If two officials signal conflicting fouls on a play, then the resolution is a double foul.
Does NCAA have a case play for this?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

H & R..............................block
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Nevedaref for posting the detailed explanation, as a newbie I was missing the airborne player part of this play. I kept thinking that the Tenn Player had LGP and was moving obliquely, but missed the part about the airborne player. It is difficult to tell for sure from the angles on the video when the offensive player became airborne in relation to the slide, but I now understand the reason some are seeing this as a block.

As far as getting the video I just happened to have the game on and I have digital cable with a DVR so it records what is currently being watch to allow you to pause it and rewind it. Honestly I was reading the forum and not really watching the game closely when I saw your Blarge alert post, so I backed up the DVR and recorded the play to my DVD recorder. I replayed it a couple of times and then replayed it at slow speed while recording it to the dvd. I then took the dvd into a video editing program, edited it to get just the play, and had the video editor output a file i could upload to YouTube.

The details would vary depending upon your hardware, for example I think some DVRs will allow you to directly move the file to a computer without burning it to the DVD first.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 11:21pm
#thereferee99

First impression (from the upper camera) was PC, but seeing the lead's angle I thought a clear block -- the bent right knee shows defender clearly sliding over....

but more importantly... what is your configuration at home that allows you to slice and dice the braodcast... put it up on youtube and publish??? How long did that take you, start to finish, wrwom??

edit -- oh, never mind, seems like others were wowed with the quick post up of video too! thanks!

Last edited by referee99; Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 11:23pm. Reason: read last post!
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Block.