The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I was calling a 13-yr old Dixie Boys District All-Star game yesterday (with heat index > 100) and had a catcher collapse.

Organizers were well-prepared and has a nurse on the field immediately. We got an ambulance to the park and rushed him to ER. Reports were good about 1/2 hour later from the hospital, but he sure didn't look good we he left the field.

Please be sure you are emphasizing hydration to your coaches and kids, especially those catchers. Catchers are usually the toughest guy on the team and think they are invincible.

Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 11:13am

As a Dad, I can appreciate your concern.
Just a thought, though. The coaches and league administrators should be involved in keeping the playing conditions safe and reminding everyone to get water. Will it hurt to tell a catcher to be sure to get a drink? No, but you should be worried about yourself AND your partner(s). I've seen umpires drop from the heat and heart attacks and lost a friend a couple of years ago who had to be cut out of his chest protector to give him CPR.

I agree that we are all looking out for their welfare, but take care of yourself and your partners first. You would be best served that when you get a drink, to smile and tell the coach, "Make sure they get enough, too." or "Have you guys got enough water?" It shows you care, without meddling. We need all the friends we can get out there.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
WBC you are missing something here...

as officials and respresentatives of baseball we are leaders on the field. Leadership positions, by the nature, acquire certain responsibilities. One of those is to ensure the safety of the participants of the game, for example, the malicious contact rule.

I would challenge that as an umpire we are responsible for observing players and our partners for signs of heat stress or cold for those of you above the Mason-Dixon line. When observed, we have an inherant responsibility to act, anything less is simply wrong.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 11:46am

Re: WBC you are missing something here...

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
as officials and respresentatives of baseball we are leaders on the field. Leadership positions, by the nature, acquire certain responsibilities. One of those is to ensure the safety of the participants of the game, for example, the malicious contact rule.

I would challenge that as an umpire we are responsible for observing players and our partners for signs of heat stress or cold for those of you above the Mason-Dixon line. When observed, we have an inherant responsibility to act, anything less is simply wrong.
Alan,
I don't disagree that if we see a problem, we take care of it. You missed my message, though. Re-read the quotes. You are not being passive, you are directing your guidance and concern to the people directly in charge of the players. Chatting with a catcher as he warms up and asking him he got a drink is good - and if he has manners, he'll ask about you.

But, I don't replace bases when they get dislodged, I don't tend to injurd players, I don't chalk the box or lines, I don't close gates and I don't act like their parent out there. I will be kind and considerate, but my JOB is to be an adminsitrator. I will make sure that the field and playing conditions are safe. I will watch the weather or look for dangerous impediments and I will encourage the coaches to keep an eye on their kids. I work a level of baseball that affords a lot more freedom to concentrate on the game and not the players. I respect the fact that many of our members love working youth baseball and may have different concerns. My advice is not meant for all, it is intended to help you administrate the game and encourages professionalism.
As a fan, I like umpires who are polite and are concerned...concerned about doing the best job they can.

Finally, I can assure you that the Moms, Dads and coaches involved are far more culpable than the umpire with regards to the incident cited. Where were the kids parents and why weren't they concerned enough to get the kids liquids?
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 12:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not our primary job.

Baseball is not a sport where players are constantly on the field. Players go to the bench or dugout area often during a game. There is not a lot of interaction with players other than maybe a couple of players at one time. Not sure what we are expected to do? Unlike in football games where there are players doing very physical activity for several minutes without a break. Baseball players for the most part are just standing.

I agree if we see a problem take care of that problem. I am all for that, but we should not consider ourselves to be the main person to fulfill that duty.

Peace

Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I will never go to a coach and tell them to make sure that their players are getting enough H20. However, in conversing with the catcher on a hot day, I will let him know that if he ever wants a drink at any time, just let me know and he can do so. I usually tell him that I will go clean the plate while he does it, so it doesn't look like he is halting the game. Same procedure I use when he gets dinged with a foul ball.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Thumbs up i think we are singing the same tune...

Rut stated:
I agree if we see a problem take care of that problem. I am all for that, but we should not consider ourselves to be the main person to fulfill that duty

WCB stated:
I don't replace bases when they get dislodged, I don't tend to injurd players, I don't chalk the box or lines, I don't close gates and I don't act like their parent out there. I will be kind and considerate, but my JOB is to be an adminsitrator

These two statements hit my intent perfectly. Observation of safety issues is not our primary concern - administration of the game is. However, remaining aware of the potential for weather related injuries is part of that role as an administrator and should be addressed with the same attentiveness that we watch for lightening or similiar situations. These traits are a combination of situational awareness and preventive officiating.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass