The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Inbounding violation

When a team a is on offense, and team b knocks the ball out of bounds on the baseline, team a obviously gets the opportunity to inbound the ball on the baseline. is it legal for team a to lob the ball to a player in the back court without receiving an over and back violation
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 11:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by highschoolref18 View Post
When a team a is on offense, and team b knocks the ball out of bounds on the baseline, team a obviously gets the opportunity to inbound the ball on the baseline. is it legal for team a to lob the ball to a player in the back court without receiving an over and back violation
Simple answer: Yes.

To understand the basis for the answer, you have to call the Mythbusters:

During a throwin, even under a team’s own basket, if the throwin is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; or after a missed field goal attempt or a missed foul shot attempt, if the ball is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; these are not a backcourt violations. In both cases team control, a player holding or dribbling the ball, has not yet been established.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 29, 2008 at 12:47am.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highschoolref18 View Post
High school - yes.
NCAA - yes.
NBA - no.

That is probably why you have some confusion on this issue.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

If they can do it from the sidleine, why couldn't they do it from the endline?

(and, how do you quote a post?)
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 10:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's As Easy As Pie ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost View Post
How do you quote a post?
Find the post you want to quote. Click on "Quote" in the lower right corner. The quoted post comes up next, and allows you to comment on it. I just learned how to use the multiple quote option. Find the posts (plural) that you want to quote, click on the " (Multiple Quote) symbol on the lower right corner of each post that you want to quote, the quoted posts come up next, and allows you to comment on them. I also discovered that the "Testing Forum" (Forum Jump, lower right corner of main page, with other sports) allows you to test out options like quoting, signatures, images, websites, etc. without wasting our time on the Basketball Forum.

Good luck. Have fun. Try to spell things properly (use the spell check) and try to use proper grammar. We have a "Proper Spelling Guy", and "Proper Grammar Guy", who are ambush predators, just looking for any opportunity to keep our Forum free of incorrect spelling, and poor grammar. If you're an official, try to use proper language. Improper language would include examples such as: a player calling timeout (a request), a foul for over the back (a push), etc. Rule citations use hyphens (4-4-1), while casebook citations use periods (10.3.4). Sometimes we're tougher on fellow officials than we are on coaches, and fanboys.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 29, 2008 at 10:28am.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 10:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Is This A Rhetorical Question ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost View Post
If they can do it from the sideline, why couldn't they do it from the endline?
They can. Who said that they can't?